• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
n3Xus

[C++] Pointer to member problem

This topic is 3802 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm following the directInput tutorial to setup joystick input and I'm stuck at one part. I have the direct input class (called DX_INPUT). In this class I have a function:
bool CALLBACK	EnumJoysticksCallback(DIDEVICEINSTANCE* pdidInstance, VOID* pContext);
I have to pass this function as a parameter here:
m_lpDI->EnumDevices(DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL,&DX_INPUT::EnumJoysticksCallback ,NULL,DIEDFL_ATTACHEDONLY)
I've gone through some tutorials on pointer to memeber functions but I still can't get it to work. I get this error: Error 1 error C2664: 'IDirectInput8W::EnumDevices' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'bool (__stdcall DX_INPUT::* )(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *,void *)' to 'LPDIENUMDEVICESCALLBACKW' help would be very appreciated :D

Advertisement
A member function pointer is not the same thing as a function pointer, which is what DIEnumDevicesCallback expects.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure return type is taken as part of the pointer to function type, in which case
bool (*)(DIDEVICEINSTANCE*, VOID*) is not a
BOOL (*)(DIDEVICEINSTANCE*, VOID*)

Quote:
Original post by Driv3MeFar
A member function pointer is not the same thing as a function pointer, which is what DIEnumDevicesCallback expects.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure return type is taken as part of the pointer to function type, in which case
bool (*)(DIDEVICEINSTANCE*, VOID*) is not a
BOOL (*)(DIDEVICEINSTANCE*, VOID*)

You are correct, however that probably gets by the compile since it can implicitly cast it.

thx for the help so far but I still can't figure it out...

this is a part of the .h file that defines the CALLBACK function:

class DX_INPUT
{

// Callback function
BOOL CALLBACK EnumJoysticksCallback(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *pdidInstance, void *pContext);

};

this is a part of the .cpp file:

// The callback function
BOOL DX_INPUT::EnumJoysticksCallback(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *pdidInstance, void *pContext)
{
// Obtain the interface to the enumerated joystick
if(FAILED (m_lpDI->CreateDevice(pdidInstance->guidInstance,&m_pJoystick,NULL) ))
{
ONMESSAGE("cannont obtain joystick intefaces","error:dxinput");
return DIENUM_STOP;
}
return DIENUM_CONTINUE;
}

// In this function the EnumJoysticksCallback is passed as an paramter for m_lpDI->EnumDevices:
void DX_INPUT::InitializeJoysticks()
{
m_lpDI->EnumDevices(DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL, !CALLBACK_FUNCTION_GOES_HERE! ,NULL,DIEDFL_ATTACHEDONLY)
}

can someone tell me what exactly do I need to change to get this working??

as Dave said: Make the function a static member:

static BOOL CALLBACK EnumJoysticksCallback(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *pdidInstance, void *pContext);

Quote:
Original post by n3Xus
thx for the help so far but I still can't figure it out...

this is a part of the .h file that defines the CALLBACK function:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

this is a part of the .cpp file:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

can someone tell me what exactly do I need to change to get this working??
You can't pass a non-static function to a callback like that, so you need to make the function static. A member function has an implicit "this" pointer, which means that it's not the same as a free-standing function, so you can't pass it in as a function pointer.

Doing that means that you can't access any member variables from within the function though, since it doesn't have a "this" pointer. That's what the context parameter is for.

You want the following...

Header:
static BOOL CALLBACK EnumJoysticksCallback(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *pdidInstance, void *pContext);

Source file:

// The callback function
BOOL DX_INPUT::EnumJoysticksCallback(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *pdidInstance, void *pContext)
{
DX_INPUT* pThis = (DX_INPUT*)pContext;

// Obtain the interface to the enumerated joystick
if(FAILED (pThis->m_lpDI->CreateDevice(pdidInstance->guidInstance, pThis->&m_pJoystick, NULL) ))
{
ONMESSAGE("cannont obtain joystick intefaces","error:dxinput");
return DIENUM_STOP;
}
return DIENUM_CONTINUE;
}

// In this function the EnumJoysticksCallback is passed as an paramter for m_lpDI->EnumDevices:
void DX_INPUT::InitializeJoysticks()
{
m_lpDI->EnumDevices(DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL, EnumJoysticksCallback, this, DIEDFL_ATTACHEDONLY)
}

That way, you pass in the "this" pointer as the context parameter to the callback function, then you grab it out and use it.

thx Steve, I saw that "this passing" in a tutorial but I didn't know I can use VOID* pContext to pass it :D

Quote:
Original post by n3Xus
thx Steve, I saw that "this passing" in a tutorial but I didn't know I can use VOID* pContext to pass it :D
Yeah, it's fairly standard that any C-style callback function like this will take a void* "user context" parameter that you can use to communicate with the function. There's some exceptions of course, but every Win32 and DirectX callback I can think of allows this.

<offtopic>
Quote:
Original post by Dave
Cue Evil Steve....

[BAM]

P.S: Make the function a static member.
I'm slow today - I'm ball deep in code at work [sad]
</offtopic>

damnit it still doesn't work :@ I'm gonna have nightmares because of this thing.
Now the problem is if I write:

m_lpDI->EnumDevices(DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL, EnumJoysticksCallback ,this,DIEDFL_ATTACHEDONLY)

I get this error:
Error 1 error C2664: 'IDirectInput8W::EnumDevices' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'BOOL (__stdcall *)(DIDEVICEINSTANCE *,void *)' to 'LPDIENUMDEVICESCALLBACKW'

If I write it like this:
m_lpDI->EnumDevices(DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL, (LPDIENUMDEVICESCALLBACKW)EnumJoysticksCallback ,this,DIEDFL_ATTACHEDONLY)

it compiles but the function doesn't get exectuted (m_pJoystick remains NULL and I also put a Beep(,) in it and it doesn't beep. So yet again I ask for your assistance

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!