Other languages?

Started by
6 comments, last by smr 15 years, 9 months ago
I'm newish to the programming scene, I've been learning Python these past few weeks and I'm pretty fluent in it now, it's quite easy. I've been reading books and learning C++ on and off as well as PALib, I'm not going to seriously get into C++ as I want to be fluent in a few other languages first (I'm only 14 after all, I've plenty of time). Mind recommending me any other languages I could learn? I heard Pascal is another good choice.
Advertisement
Ruby is getting quite popular. I'd skip Pascal it has had its day, unless you are referring to the more modern implementations such as Delphi?

Actually, thinking about it what about Lisp, Prolog or Haskell? They would give you something that none of the languages you listed would and would be a help in the long run I think.
I've learnt a bit of Ruby, due to when I used to use RPG Maker. Hmm..
I'd focus on a drastically different language than Python to widen your horizons. Best to gain as much width as possible early on, so you can make an informed choice of where to focus your attention later. For that reason, I second Cromulents suggestions of Lisp and Haskell (I'd stay as far away from Prolog as possible). Lisp - particularily Common Lisp - is a lot friendlier than Haskell, but both will teach you valuable lessons. Ocaml is another similar choice.

Those languages are also good to use when learning data structures and algorithms, which is essential knowledge for any programmer (but many self-taught ones have difficulty grasping). Use Lisp or Haskell to get a solid grip on lists, trees and other graphs as well as the operations typically performed on them (searches, traversals, sorts etc). Such knowledge will be invaluable later on.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
I'm going to come in from left field and remind you to actually, you know, program. :-) Some beginners seem to spend lots of time learning languages and very little actually using them to produce something fun! This might not be you, of course, but it's worth remembering that they're mostly a means to an end.
[TheUnbeliever]
Yeah don't worry, I have compiled and produced little example programs with what I have learned so far. I will take those languages into account.
Quote:Original post by Anandjones
Yeah don't worry, I have compiled and produced little example programs with what I have learned so far. I will take those languages into account.

It might be worthwhile to make somewhat bigger programs, you will probably run into problems not apparent in smaller demos. I'm sure you've learned a lot about Python in those few weeks, but to become truly fluent in one language or programming in general, making it work on a larger scale will really boost your experience. So perhaps before jumping to yet another language, practice some more with one you already know.

But that decision is up to you of course. Good luck! [smile]
I'd recommend that you stick with python for now. I've been using it for years and haven't yet mastered it -- not even close. The syntaxes you know is the lease important aspect of being a good programmer. Any programmer can learn the syntax of a new language in no time flat. A good programmer (IMO) has problem solving skills, knows how his computer works, knows the ins and outs of his preferred language, has good technique, understands object oriented and functional programming paradigms, has enough discipline to finish what he starts. These skills come with experience and "hello, world!" copy-and-paste tutorials are only a baby-step on the path to getting them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement