Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brekehan

MSDN Tutorial 4 - Engine - Nothing showing up

This topic is 3625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I was converting my dx9 engine to dx10 and have been going through the dx10 tutorials one at a time and converting the concepts covered. Well, tutorial 4 involved adding the matrices and it is much different than I did in dx9. I went through each section of their code sample and entered in the steps to the appropriate objects in my code. Everything looks dandy to me, but it never is, is it? When I run my application I only see the clear color. First thing I think is that the geometery is not in the correct location or the camera is not facing the correct way, but I copied the values straight from the tutorial. Therefore, I must have misunderstood or misplaced a dx call. I know that my chances are slim in getting anyone to analyze my code, but I figured I'd reach out anyway. My code is located at ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/programming/Projects/EngineX_2.56/ it may also depend on ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/programming/Projects/cpisz_common_lib/ It should be a small amount of code to look at, although there is a lot of code in there, not alot is used until it is all converted. Files of interest are Jul 12 2008 22:16 14342 GFXApplication.cpp Jun 29 2008 23:27 2400 GFXApplication.h Jul 15 2008 00:43 2632 TestApp.cpp Jul 12 2008 21:20 356 TestApp.h Jun 29 2008 23:12 462 main.cpp Jul 15 2008 00:17 1265 BaseCamera.cpp Jul 15 2008 00:16 1454 BaseCamera.h Jul 14 2008 23:55 7448 FlightCamera.cpp Jul 14 2008 23:54 4029 FlightCamera.h Jun 25 2008 20:01 306 SceneObject3D.cpp Jul 14 2008 21:05 505 SceneObject3D.h Jul 15 2008 00:52 7909 SimpleObject3D.cpp Jul 15 2008 00:27 1550 SimpleObject3D.h Again, I don't expect much. However, if someone is kind or bored or just interested, I could use all the help I can get to figure these initial problems out. Some of the concepts on MSDN are just plain not explained well. Especially the the matrices in the HLSL vs the matrices in the app, when one reflects the other, and how the calls work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
God helped me find the bug :) No joke, I prayed and then it came to me to check if the effect variables (my matrices) were getting set and updated properly.

I found that I called a matrix projection in the effect file and perspective in the code. I also did not copy my latest .fx file over.

Changed those and added some better error checking and blam! I have a pretty square.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!