C1083

Started by
5 comments, last by Toolmaker 15 years, 9 months ago
I am getting the following error message. 1>------ Build started: Project: MPChart, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ 1>Compiling... 1>StdAfx.cpp 1>c:\documents and settings\phillipb\desktop\netcharts2\stdafx.cpp : error C2471: cannot update program database 'c:\documents and settings\phillipb\desktop\netcharts2\debug\vc90.pdb' 1>c:\documents and settings\phillipb\desktop\netcharts2\stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1083: Cannot open program database file: 'c:\documents and settings\phillipb\desktop\netcharts2\debug\vc90.pdb': No such file or directory 1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\phillipb\Desktop\NetCharts2\Debug\BuildLog.htm" 1>MPChart - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s) ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== I am unsure of how to proceed.Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Here is what MSDN has to say. I'm pretty sure the 2nd error (the one in the title) is caused by the first. Make sure your project folder is not marked as read-only and that you have enough space to create the file.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Is the pdb file actually there?
If so, try deleting it, and do a full rebuild.
If not, maybe you're not allowed to write to that directory? Check if you can create an ordinary text file there.
Million-to-one chances occur nine times out of ten!
Quote:Original post by nobodynews
I'm pretty sure the 2nd error (the one in the title) is caused by the first.

I rather think it's, counterintuitively, the other way around: it can't open the file (because it can't find it) and so can't update it.
[TheUnbeliever]
I get this sometimes with VS, for no apparent reason that I can identify. It is certainly not disk space or file or directory permissions.

It seems (this is just a vague idea) to happen when I am impatiently editing source files while a previous build is still outputting error messages, but I don't have any hard evidence for that.

I wonder if Windows rather than VS is getting confused about a file lock on the .pdb maybe?

I just do "Rebuild Solution" and it fixes it. I don't have to delete any files or anything. Just a bit of a pain to do a full rebuild - if I was working on large projects, it would probably have annoyed me enough to investigate it properly by now.
well I figured it out. Thanks for all the help.
Quote:Original post by phil67rpg
well I figured it out. Thanks for all the help.

How did you figure it out? Others might have the same issue and might want to solve it too, without having to ask :).

Toolmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement