• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Obbedemus

[Ogre] Advices

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, so we're going to make a 3D fps this autumn and we're starting to plan the whole thing. So, we have some, more or less, specific questions that we could need a hand with. We've decided to use Ogre as a 3D-engine. We discussed whether we should go first person or third person and we are still not sure. So we thought we might go with both, having one camera node for first person and one node of third person. Will this approach work? It just seems to easy... I'm not all familiar with Ogre yet, so I've probably missed something. We were also thinking about what you need to think about when modelling. We're planning on using 3DS Max for modelling. Where can we find some info about what you need to store and how? We got basically no experience about this, so we're quite lost. We've seen that you need .mesh and .skeleton. We know how to handle the .mesh, what about the .skeleton? If I open a 3ds-file with 3ds2mesh and chooses .skeleton for output, what will it get the skeleton from? Where can we read more specifically about importing? Oh, and where can I read about general game programming? I have read what I found at Ogre's Wiki, but now I've run out of leads. And sorry for the rather bad subject, but I couldn't come up with a better name. Thanks in advance! All tips are welcome! [Edited by - Obbedemus on July 16, 2008 10:02:03 AM]

Advertisement
Concerning the two camera approach : I think it can work.

When switching from a view to another you will need to destroy a viewport and create another (a viewport is a camera + a physical window and means that you display on that window what the camera sees).

Concerning import/export Ogre/3Dsmax there is a very good wiki page : Ogre_Exporter

I cannot found any ogre to 3dsmax importer but I may have missed it.

Concerning game developpement, I found the following very interesting :
* Game architect

The advice I could give you is read, read and read. There are a huge amount of blogs, sites about "game developpement" ("game developpement" is a good google query).

Regards

First of all, if you are new to general game development, in addition to being new to Ogre, I most definitely suggest you do NOT start with a 3D FPS.

Quote:

When switching from a view to another you will need to destroy a viewport and create another (a viewport is a camera + a physical window and means that you display on that window what the camera sees).

Incorrect. You don't need to destroy the viewport. You have two options:
- use Ogre::Viewport::setCamera() to change the camera
(or)
- use a single camera, just detach it from one of the nodes and attach it to the other node

Quote:

Concerning import/export Ogre/3Dsmax there is a very good wiki page : Ogre_Exporter

Excellent page for exporters - do NOT used the outdated 3ds2mesh!

And, at last: Ogre3D's forums (I'm nullsquared on there, and I check them a lot more often than on here)

Hehe, we start with an FPS, because we want to. :) We don't really plan on finishing it. (And I've made a small 2D app)

Hm, I was surprised about 3ds2mesh. I've used it a little, and it worked. But I'll guess I won't use it then. :)

I plan to read loads, but I want to read what's worth reading and not just bullshit. Thanks for the links!

The Ogre3D forums are extremely helpful! Found alot of help there already, and I will probably move over there once I get more Ogre specific questions.

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful!

Quote:
Incorrect. You don't need to destroy the viewport. You have two options:
- use Ogre::Viewport::setCamera() to change the camera
(or)
- use a single camera, just detach it from one of the nodes and attach it to the other node

Forgot, which one do you recommend? I read in the tutorials that you mostly use one camera and switch between nodes. Seems more effective...

[Edited by - Obbedemus on July 19, 2008 3:09:15 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!