• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jamesford42

3D graphing application

This topic is 3631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It seems to me that some sort of 3D graphing application would be very handy to have around. For instance I was recently trying to understand a bilinear interpolation function written in C++. Now I can handle a few dot products and cross products, but when it starts doing cross products between the results of previous cross products I lose track of "visually" what is going on. I'm leary of downloading 20 different trial applications so ... any recommendations? The ability to easily see several vectors and the result of operations on them would be good. So would the ability to graph some simple shapes like a quad / polygon / cube / sphere to see the relationship between them and some vectors / etc. I've looked at Octave (which is an OPEN version of MatLab I believe) but it seems like it has quite a learning curve and it might just be more powerful than I need... Most graphing applications i have seen are focused on graphing FUNCTIONS, but thats not really what is most useful to me. Simply RENDERING a few primitives in a 3D environment with visible world Axes and 3D camera control would be good enough.

Advertisement
I'm not at all familiar with any graphing utilities that you are looking for, but have you considered writing up a small DirectX or OpenGL application to do this? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to get up and running, and best of all you can customize it to what you want it to do.

If you have any luck, be sure to post what you find (or make!).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!