• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rev6604

need help with a launching program

This topic is 3780 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i am new to game programming, but i have made an FPS with multiple maps. Each map runs as an individual game, and im going to be releasing new maps each month. I dont want users who play it to have to have 30 icons of maps so i want to make a simple launching program. I dont really want it to be graphical, so like a .BAT file or something in basic. I wouldnt mind makin it in VB 2008, but i dont really know much programming. I would like for it to list all the maps the game has so far (i would update and release a new launcher every time a new map comes out) and it would display the names of all the maps. Next to the names, it would display a number. The user just has to type in the number, hit enter, and the file closes and opens up the map. I would like to do this very much but i really dont know where to begin. (i dont need it to be like this, but this is what i invision when i think about it). I thought it would be pretty simple, i know ive seen someone do something like it before, and it didnt take too many lines of code (i dont think). Can someone help me, or direct me to a place that can help me? I really just need to know how to make it for map #1 , maybe #2, because each set would be the same except for the location of the file right?

Advertisement
Well, since you made a whole FPS you know some GUI, so you should just make them all one program and add a title screen?

-DM

ya i know a little bit. I just figured it out though. I really didnt want a graphical display, i just wanted text base, but after being an idiot for a few hours, i figured out how to do it. thnx any ways guys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!