• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pro-Creation

Endless-Online Type mmorpg

This topic is 3718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks, I was wondering if anyone has heard of Endless-online, it is a 2d mmorpg, does anyone know what resources I need to create such an mmorpg? I just don't understand how to have 2d sprite based player characters and have the paperdoll feature to be able to equip items, and it be visible when equipped. I would like good interactive features. Can some one help me understand the basics, in the meanwhile I'll be googling the topic, thanks. I know I will need: A programmer with C++ knowledge A sprite/tile artist

Advertisement
I haven't played the game, but I took a quick look at the site.

It's hard to tell from screenshots, but the paperdoll and equipping trick may be a matter of layering characters on top of the items. I'm guessing that the characters move the same way whether they're holding a sword or axe? If so, then the animation for attacking is probably a generic swing, with the character drawn first and then the weapon composited behind it. If there are many different attack styles and weapons, then they may use a lot of different bodies and mix them with certain types of weapons.

In terms of resources, your programmers are going to need to understand networking, security, databases (for your player information), and probably custom tools for building the levels (because tiles will need to have code associated with them for things like traps or doors). You'll need to decide just how many outfits, monsters, locations, items and whatnot your game would have as well, because that will tell you if you need one artist or an entire army.

While it's good that you're doing further research, I'd recommend starting a little bit closer to the basics so that you can have more specific questions to ask. Have basic concepts like blitting and hit detection naturally in your vocabulary before you try to tackle all the harder stuff underlying an MMO.

If you're dead set on building an MMO right off the bat, I'd recommend you go through the game that you're interested in and detail exactly what happens when you do certain things, like click on inventory or talk to characters. How does the game handle death? Monster spawning? Player harassment? etc. etc. Organize these in your own design document so that when you think "I want good interactive features" you or those you talk to will have have a clearer idea of what you mean.

My own suggestion is looking for a team creating a similar game in the Help Wanted forum and joining them to gain the experience you'll need to create your own game. You will have a much better idea on what talent is necessary and how much work is involved.

Quote:
Original post by Wavinator
the paperdoll and equipping trick may be a matter of layering characters on top of the items. I'm guessing that the characters move the same way whether they're holding a sword or axe? If so, then the animation for attacking is probably a generic swing, with the character drawn first and then the weapon composited behind it. If there are many different attack styles and weapons, then they may use a lot of different bodies and mix them with certain types of weapons.

Yes, this is how it works for all 2D avatar systems as far as I know (I researched it when I was designing one). You establish all the animations with a nude base avatar (or with each of several base avatars if they have different bodies). This is an image file with a transparent background, such as a png or gif. (I suppose you could do it with vector graphics, Dofus might do it that way). You can either squish all the poses into one sprite file or have each pose be its own file and keep them all in a folder that is the sprite. Then for every single equippable item, you have to draw it to fit all the poses. Some systems assign items a permanent layer number but I prefer letting the player control it. When the player saves their avatar all the equippable item images and all the base images are automatically flattened into a single-layer sprite which is animated in the game like any standard 2D sprite.

I already know most of the actions and how they work, my ideas would be based up that of Endless but a few more of my ideas to make it more original.

Attack: Only one way to attack ctrl button is just a swing, and only that which complies with your idea of layering the weapon behind the character.

Moving: only basic up,down,right,left, arrow keys are used in moving your character.

Basics:

F11-makes your char. sit down.
Pressing numbers displays emoticons above the player-characters head.

And all the other basic functions of an mmorpg: inventory,gold,trading/buying/selling to other players, battling and setting bets with items/gold on who wins, you know very interactive with client/server functions.

I will search in the help wanted section now, but keep this thread going so I can look back into this for help, okay. Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!