• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BigChiefZoo

Library/sdk advice

This topic is 3751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been going around in circles for some time looking for a library that suits my needs so I'm posting here in the hope someone might have some pointers: 1. The game is primarily 2D but will at some point contain 3D. I want a directx engine (but NOT direct7). Directx 8 or above (but not 10) would be fine. 2. I need an engine that does '2d in 3d' so I can easily replace my existing engine. For example I want to replace the base surface class (currently a direct draw surface) with a surface class that wraps up this in 3D. I have no 3D knowledge so would rather not do this myself. 3. Must be stable. No need for cross platform. Just windows is fine. 4. Prefereable a static link library or DLL so it can work with my current VS5 C++ projects (rules out TORQUE). 5. I dont mind paying so no need to be free. I have tried Blitz3DSdk and that would be great if it were not for the fact that it is dx7. I have looked at OGRE (too complex), TORQUE (a script), DarkSdk (I'm still considering this one). In the past I have looked at SDL and ALLEGRO. Any advice welcome.

Advertisement
If you're using C++, you might look at ClanLib. It's not Direct3D, it's OpenGL, but the 2D stuff in there hides all that anyway. SFML might be another choice, I've never tried it but it looks promising.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!