• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kapil1089theking

Combat game

This topic is 3719 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am very new to this Gamedev. I want to devlope an Air-Combat Game. My System: Display adapter:Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family. OS: Windows XP(SP2) I'm familiar with Graphics theory and made a Java AWT/Swing Combat 2D Game but was very slow. I'm familiar with C++. But never worked with Windows Programing or Library like OpenGL. I want to know what to do I mean I wanna go for C++ and OpenGL, is it good choice I just want to confirm my choice I have gone through this web suggestions on same topic.Plz suggest me to find the respective softwares/libraries. If free then best and faster language is needed.

Advertisement
Well its not OpenGL but to be honest I haven't really seen a great amount of tutorials in OpenGL but Riemers tutorials with DirectX and C++/C# are pretty good:

http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/dxcpp.php

There is an awesome flight sim tutorial on there. He hasn't quite got the flight movement right, it doesn't rotate in a 3D space very well but that's down to his maths which I'm sure could be fixed.

I will warn you though that game development in C++ with DirectX is very difficult, I found that I couldn't work out where C++ ends and DirectX begins. C# offers much better structure, it colours objects and and likes to finish code for you (if you are working in visual studio). If you then migrate to C++ its much easier to understand what the hell is going on with the DirectX!

Andy

Hi!
I see you have the basics of game programming. I've never worked with OpenGL (I only use DX9) but I would suggest this page for tutorials. Is very good and complete: Nehe Tutorials
Or if you are going for DirectX9 I would suggest: DirectXTutorials

There have been many (a bunch) of discussions talking about OpenGL/DirectX9 APIs, neither of them is better, however each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. And each use a different approach for programming. I can't suggest wich one you can use because I've only worked with DirectX9. So perhaps you might want to read some more about the topic.

For the Windows programming, which you should see first, this is an amazing start for that, although in the Nehe Tutorials and in the DirectXTutorials there are some principles of Win32 programming:

Beggining Windows Programming
Using Resources in Win32 Programs
Tracking your Windows and Using GDI

the continuing chapters start talking about DirectDraw, which is an old graphics API for 2D applications using DirectX 7.0.

Good luck with your Air-Combat Game!

Is DirectX is contained with my Windows XP?
How can I check that..?? If not is it free?
and i chosed C# is it ok?
now the 1st step what i should do?
I m very Much Comfortable with Mathematics/ Graphics.
I have visual studio, I need a c++ compiler too. what to do? plz help me(url).

[Edited by - kapil1089theking on July 16, 2008 9:24:26 AM]

Quote:

Is DirectX is contained with my Windows XP?
How can I check that..?? If not is it free?

You'll need to download the DirectX SDK to do any development with it. It is, however, free.

Quote:

and i chosed C# is it ok?

For C#, your options for using DirectX are the deprecated Managed DirectX 1.1 (which comes with the SDK, although now lacks documentation and samples) or a third-party wrapper like SlimDX. You can also use OpenGL via APIs like Tao.OpenGL.

Quote:

now the 1st step what i should do?

Start by making simple programs in the language, with the APIs you've chosen, in order to explore the new aspects of that problem domain.

Quote:

I have visual studio, I need a c++ compiler too. what to do? plz help me(url).

I thought you said you were using C#? You don't need both a C++ and C# compiler. Visual Studio itself has both anyway, so you shouldn't need anything extra unless you have only the Express editions of VC++ or VC#. But I'm confused now as to which language you've decided to work in for the moment?

[EDIT] DOH! was beaten to it ;)

The DirectX SDK (Software Development Kit) is free as long as you have a genuine version of XP and is available from the Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=86cf7fa2-e953-475c-abde-f016e4f7b61a&displaylang=en

This is the April 2007 SDK, it is the last release (I think) with C# samples with it, It should integrate with visual studio no problem, so all you have to do is install the SDK and windows will do the rest for you. The SDK will come up in your start menu where Microsoft offer you some basic tutorials in the 'sample browser'.

Visual Studio compiles your applications for you (no matter what language) and puts a .exe in the Debug folder within your project folder.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Sorry, You all have suggested me to a great extent, but still I am a bit confused; what i conclude:

I need Only:

1. Visual studio.
2. DirectX SDK

anything more I need?

One more question-
Is it suffices my need to model my very own model of aircraft? where to work that?

I need Only:

1. Visual studio.
2. DirectX SDK

Correct! But I suggest the April 2007 SDK.

I use 3D Studio Max with the Panda directX exporter to model my meshes.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "the exact work". Could you phrase the question differently? If you mean "what does it do?" then DirectX is a multimedia library that handles the interface to a variety of input and output devices (the most important ones being graphics cards).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!