• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
caseyd

Object Oriented Design

This topic is 3798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been looking at a couple of open source 3D engines, namely Irrlicht and just now Ogre, in the quest to learn better Object Oriented Design methodology, particular in this domain. Does anyone have any others that I should take a look at? I know there are a lot of good ones out there. I would also in particular like ones that prefer C++ to C, and not just a template or class wrapper around a lot of C. My goal here is not to learn a design pattern, but how to apply what I do know to to C++. Especially the more advanced features, like templates, and custom STL stuff. Thanks, Casey

Advertisement
caseyd,

Should keep in mind, that looking at others source can be harmful when trying to learn. However, I do believe its beneificial when looking at different ways to solve problems. Everyone has their own spin on things (None right or wrong). With that in mind, take a look at http://www.geometrictools.com/ It's a fantastic engine that really made me look at things a bit differently.

Jeff.

Be careful when looking through those sources, just because they claim it's OO doesn't mean it's good OO - take it all with a pinch of salt.

Perhaps it might benefit you to learn some of principles behind object orientation, take a look at the links in this post.

In the end, the best way to learn is just to write crap code and then improve it, you could even post bits here and ask people for critique [smile]

Would books help? Here are some from my mind...

The first edition of Game Coding Complete includes a chapter on using template-based smart pointers. The second edition does away with it, using the smart pointer from Boost. On the whole I would recommend Game Coding Complete 2nd edition. It goes into a model, view and logic architecture, events and processes. It uses Direct3D 9 and lots of STL.

Another book which I had and would recommend is C++ for Game Programmers - covers smart pointers, templates, STL, seralising of data, plugins architecture etc.

Modern C++ is a fascinating read on using templates on achieving generic code and goes really in-depth with it.

Quote:
Be careful when looking through those sources, just because they claim it's OO doesn't mean it's good OO - take it all with a pinch of salt.

Hence the reason for this post. I was hoping to get feedback on which engines use good OO. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post.

Quote:
The first edition of Game Coding Complete includes a chapter on using template-based smart pointers. The second edition does away with it, using the smart pointer from Boost. On the whole I would recommend Game Coding Complete 2nd edition. It goes into a model, view and logic architecture, events and processes. It uses Direct3D 9 and lots of STL.

Own it, read it, and have applied much of its advice.

Quote:
C++ for Game Programmers

On my to read list. Perhaps I will bump that one up.

Quote:
Perhaps it might benefit you to learn some of principles behind object orientation, take a look at the links in this post.

I know the principles behind OOD. But the majority of implementations I have looked at are based on Java. I have been a C programmer for awhile, but over the last few months, have been trying to bring this knowledge to C++. While the design patterns and principles remain the same, the way in which they are implemented are very different.

Quote:
Should keep in mind, that looking at others source can be harmful when trying to learn

I don't completely subscribe to this. While I do think it is harmful to just read someone else's source, and cut and paste, I do think it is worthwhile to take a look at a well constructed piece of software to see what makes it good.

Quote:
http://www.geometrictools.com/

Thanks, I have not heard of this. I will take a look at it.

Thank you for the input.

-Casey

I just checked out the Geometric Tools site, I didn't realize that this is the engine from Dave Eberly's book(s). I have seen this book numerous times, I may end up picking this up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!