• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wasif Hyder

Help With C++ Book

This topic is 3631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently purchased Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. It has been nearly a month and im a complete beginner. This book was supposed to be my first start. I've followed the book closely and I think I have the basics figured out. It would help if anyone could tell me where to go on from here. I want to learn game programming so if anyone can tell me where to go from here then id be grateful. Oh yeah im 15 years old as of yesterday. Dont know if that's relevant but i'd appreciate a comprehensive book or resource or atleast a guideline where to go on.

Advertisement
You could first start making some text-based games. Try making tic-tac-toe, hangman, guess the number, or even a small text-based adventure game.

All that was in the book. I also followed exercises for improvement in them.
I want to get advanced and learn more but with game development in view.

You could try learning some graphics programming. I recommend SDL, a simple cross-platform multimedia library with 2D graphics and sound that's simple and easy to use. You could also learn OpenGL, which is a cross-platform graphics API, but it's also a great start and it supports 3D graphics if you choose to stick with it. DirectX is also an option if you choose to stick with Windows.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!