Question about becoming a video game developer

Started by
15 comments, last by stonemetal 15 years, 9 months ago
Hello, next year I'm starting, probably, computer engineering in at university in my country (Argentina). I have 3 questions: -Would I be able to become a video game developer with a computer engineering degree?. -Would a faculty that gives master degrees in video game developing, accept me even if I have a computer engineering degree?. -About the master, I was thinking about the guildhall. Are there other universities that offer masters in video game developing?. I'd like to thank you in advanced for taking some time to reply my doubts.Thank you.
Advertisement
Full Sail University in Orlando, Florida has a 21-month bachelor of science in game development (where i am for school)
Digipen which is in Seattle i think?? Its ran by Nintendo.
There are a few others as well.

I think theres one called Westwood and another Institute of Arts and Technology... but I don't know much about those.

Good Luck!
Quote:-Would I be able to become a video game developer with a computer engineering degree?.

Your specific degree doesn't really matter, but instead it is all about having an impressive portfolio and simply having a degree.
Quote:-Would a faculty that gives master degrees in video game developing, accept me even if I have a computer engineering degree?.

Again, this is really based much more so on your portfolio.
Quote:-About the master, I was thinking about the guildhall. Are there other universities that offer masters in video game developing?.

Dunno. Why do you want a Master's? Getting a higher degree that a Bachelor's isn't really required in the games industry. Hone your own craft. If as you're nearing the end of your degree and you feel like you need more time to work on your portfolio, then worry about it then.

On a side note, why is this in the Game Design forum? Makes more sense to be in the Beginners forum.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Hey, and, about full sail, I don't like it that much, sorry. Does digipen offer master degrees in videogame developing?. Does Nintendo hire student from Guildhall?
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Quote:-Would I be able to become a video game developer with a computer engineering degree?.

Your specific degree doesn't really matter, but instead it is all about having an impressive portfolio and simply having a degree.
Quote:-Would a faculty that gives master degrees in video game developing, accept me even if I have a computer engineering degree?.

Again, this is really based much more so on your portfolio.
Quote:-About the master, I was thinking about the guildhall. Are there other universities that offer masters in video game developing?.

Dunno. Why do you want a Master's? Getting a higher degree that a Bachelor's isn't really required in the games industry. Hone your own craft. If as you're nearing the end of your degree and you feel like you need more time to work on your portfolio, then worry about it then.

On a side note, why is this in the Game Design forum? Makes more sense to be in the Beginners forum.

Hey, I think I'd need a master degree after finishing computer engineering here, beacuse, I would prepare in a very good way. Besides, every graduate from digipen or guildhall masters degree gets hired almost right away. Does digipen offer master degrees?
http://www.digipen.edu/main/Degree_Programs

It seems they do masters (CS only). I'd agree that getting a masters "for the sake of it" might not be the best use of your time - I'd wait to see how you C Eng degree comes along.
Quote:Original post by WavyVirus

It seems they do masters (CS only). I'd agree that getting a masters "for the sake of it" might not be the best use of your time - I'd wait to see how you C Eng degree comes along.

what do you mean?
Quote:Original post by santiman12
Quote:Original post by WavyVirus

what do you mean?

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant that according to the website they appear to offer a Masters in straight Computer Science, but not their famous Real-Time Interactive Simulation or Game Design courses.

Also I was trying to say that it might be a good idea to wait until your Computer Engineering degree is underway before thinking too much about a Masters.. You will learn a great deal and after a while you will have a much better idea about what topics interest you the most, as well as what/where to continue studying. Also you may not feel the need to take up a gaming Masters degree at that point, because what you have already learned and created in your spare time may give you enough confidence to begin applying for jobs straight away.

Are digipen game design and BSRTS undergraduate or graduate courses?

Oh, I made a mistake, here I have (in my town in argentina) a career called computer systems engineer which concentrates both in the hardware and software part, I don't have computer engineering here. I have another question, what would I need to become not the a sofware developer but a hardware developer but for video game consoles(I'm interestd in the programming part but i wanna know too what I need to get in the hardware videogaming industry). Thanx
Are digipen game design and BSRTS undergraduate or graduate courses?

Both of them are undergraduate courses.

I have another question, what would I need to become not the a sofware developer but a hardware developer but for video game consoles(I'm interestd in the programming part but i wanna know too what I need to get in the hardware videogaming industry). Thanx

Maybe a degree in electrical engineering since, as you mention in your post (and as far as I know, too), computer engineering is not available at any university in our country.

--Nacho

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement