• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dsr12

best internal format to store a gloss map?

This topic is 3800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some grayscale images that I am using as a gloss map to help render specular reflections on a surface using glsl (black is dull, white is shiny). What is a good format to store these textures to reduce the amount of memory they use? Right now, I am using DXT1 compression which uses memory equivalent to 4 bits per pixel, but it would be great to get it smaller if possible. The only formats that I have encountered are the standard uncompressed ones (http://www.flipcode.com/archives/internaltable.html) and the DXT extensions. I don't know what else is out there, but if DXT1 does 4 bpp with three colors is there something smaller for grayscale textures? Thanks

Advertisement
If you have some other RGB8 texture, just pack it in the ALPHA.
If you do have RGB8 texture, remember that ALPHA will be added anyway and set to 255. Might as well use it for something useful.

I don't see how that would reduce the memory consumption though.

I do have an RGB8 image that accompanies the gloss map stored in DXT1 as I mentioned in my previous post. This means it only consumes 4bpp. If I were to add the gloss map into the colored image and use DXT3 or DXT5 (which are 8bpp) I get the same memory consumption as having the colored texture and gloss map separate in DXT1.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!