• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sanman

Wii MotionPlus - 1:1 Motion Control Enhancement

This topic is 3675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
The only problem that I can see with this whole 1:1 mapping thing is that it's a lot easier to swing a WiiMote than a sword.

E.g. I've got a bokken at home, which has a fairly big limitation on how fast you can move it around (depending on how strong you are) due to the weight.
A properly balanced sword isn't as limiting, but it's still a lot harder to swing than a wiimote due to the fact that the wiimote doesn't really have any inertia.

Light-sabres would probably work OK though, because I imagine that they wouldn't have any inertia either.

[Edited by - Hodgman on July 17, 2008 2:18:52 AM]

@Hodgman
That is one of the biggest problems. I just had my thesis to the interaction possibilities and while evaluating with users one big complain was the missing limitation. Therefore every "match" resulted in mostly wild throwing around.

But still I am a little disappointed that it is just a two-axis gyro and not three. Overall the problem still is that this is an extension that you cannot specify for every game, so it will be used by WiiSports 2 and not many more because that gyro data is nothing small that can be just cut out. Either you have it and use the good additional information for your gesture recognition or you do not even use it at all. The simple deactivation highly reduces the recognition possibilities. The steering wheel of Mario Kart is no necessary equipment for games or the WiiZapper. But that MotionPlus!
In my opinion that will be the big flaw and the reason why we probably won't see many games making use of it. But maybe with a WiiII ^^'

Oh well, perhaps it could be a 3-axis gyro by the time the Wii-II comes out.

Actually, by that time, I wouldn't even mind seeing a PowerGlove to go with it.

I'm hoping that as many developers as possible will offer support for this feature enhancement. This could really make for some exciting melee games and other interactivity.

I would love to see every subtlety of movement captured for finesse of control.
Even just throwing punches could become a whole new sophisticated art.

The future looks bright indeed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!