• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Liort

Using DXUT vs Normal WIN32

This topic is 3800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All! As a beginner reading some DirectX books, i've found that most of these books don't mention DXUT and teach only DirectX programming. This made me think, if u could tell me the pros and cons of using DXUT. As i understand this is some sort of wrapper around DirectX to simplify tasks such as window creation, callbacks and menu handling. Can u mention some of the pros and cons of using DXUT? Thanks Lior

Advertisement
It is just a matter of convenience really. There are lots of quirks in D3D9 about handling lost-devices and enumeration that DXUT handles almost transparently for you - there are lots of posts in these and other forums from people trying to do this themselves and getting tripped up by minor mistakes.

The downside is that it's a "one size fits all" framework. If it does what you want, great, otherwise its hard to shoehorn into something else. A lot of people prefer the older object-oriented and MFC compatible framework - the 'new' DXUT with its flat/procedural C-style coding doesn't work well here.

As a beginner you should stick with DXUT for now as it'll get you into the meat of things quickly and easily without you having to spend ages on learning all of the plumbing.

That said, don't ignore these things as they will eventually come back to bite you - read the Win32 tutorials and get an understanding of them.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!