• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kamaze

Chances of a free "Ace Combat" clone?

This topic is 3676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, this is basically my first post at GD since I'm a typical lurker. With this topic I hope to get some feedback for my idea and since it covers are broader spectrum of "topics" I hope that I'd hit the correct forum/category, if not, I'm sorry! :-( Ok, let's begin: Preamble: ============================= I am a huge fan of the ace combat series, or better said, of that type of game play, this more arcade oriented air combat with modern planes. I always wanted some kind of a multiplayer Ace Combat game, which has been released with Ace Combat 6 for the XBox360. Though I don't own and won't own an XBox360 in near future, I was always thinking about creating such a game by myself. This ideas is now already some years old :) Now, after some years of lurking in that area and learning "how games (development) work" I may want to pick up that idea again. It is nothing special nor original, basically -like the topic says- a clone of known elements in a favor "I" would like to have them (which makes be feel bad somehow). But I think (and hope) that may some other people would have some fun with it, since this is somehow a missing category in PC gaming. In the past 2 weeks, I was looking for the chances to realize such a project, mainly on the technical side. Since my aim is to get this really running, I was looking for existing "solutions", since gluing existing parts together sounds more realistic than "Hey, lets code a game from the scratch". (Yes, I know that even that is a large amount of work) The basic game idea: ============================= Creating a arcade oriented jet combat game (My reference is Ace Combat 4/5). Comparable game play wise as well as from the visuals, but limited to a multiplayer part with up to... uhm... 16 players, with basic game modes for the first, like (Team)Deathmatch. (There are many other possible modes though...) To make the whole thing immerse, my plan was to focus on the sound scenery. With powerful sound effects and good hard-rock as background music. (There is a lot of _good_ CC-Licensed hard-rock at Jamendo which fits nicely) To give the whole thing a slight "Top Gun" touch. Also, to make the game more personal, there should may be some features like plane customizing. For example: Creating custom paintings and attach a player/clan logo. Realization: ============================= I compared some already existing and free game engines like Ogre3D etc... My odyssey seem to have ended at the "Open Scene Graph", which seem to fit nicely to the requirements, like rendering large terrains. Networking and Joystik input could be handled by SFML as well as the sound. But FMOD seems also interesting for sound. (Which shouldn't matter since the project will be a freeware or even opensource) A problem would may be the planes itself. I don't know much about the legal issues here, however, I wouldn't mind to write a mail to Boeing/EADS/... to ask if we would get the permission to use/re-modell the original fighters and names like a F16. If not, i wouldn't mind to create/use "non-existing" planes :) Well, thats the (very) "raw" idea. This would be a very huge task, I know. But i think with the right persons it would have a chance. Constructive/Subjective criticisms/opinions are welcome :) [Edited by - Kamaze on July 17, 2008 2:30:56 PM]

Advertisement
The probability is between 0 and 1.

There is a 100% chance if you pursue making it (and actually finish).

One of my distant-future goals is to make an AC style game, set in the Korean War. I'm a big fan of the F86/MiG15 duel.

Legally? My thinking is that as long as you're not making money, you should be OK.

Quote:
Original post by jckut10
Legally? My thinking is that as long as you're not making money, you should be OK.

ALWAYS get permission.

Quote:
Original post by jckut10

And your thinking is bad. Using someone's intellectual property (copyrighted works or trademarks) for any purpose not covered by fair use without their explicit permission is grounds for legal action in most western countries.

Here's an idea: create a mod/plugin/derivative of FlightGear. You'd have to tweak the flight model and controls, as FlightGear is designed to be a very realistic flight simulator, but you'd get a lot of work for free (and planes, helicopters and other vehciles). Only caveat is that you'd have to release your game under GPL. So long as you're fine with that...

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
... <read one post above>

Yes, that would may be an option. But I think that ripping out / changing all the parts we don't need and implementing our feature-target will be more complicated than building the whole thing exactly with our needs.

However, FlightGear also uses open scene graph. :)
Which also scares me somehow, since I would like some more "smooth" visuals :/

I can't really offer any help, but I'm interested in the same sort of games, that is fighter-combat games with the emphasis on fun rather than realism. Maybe sometime in the future. You should check out my Deviantart gallery, though, I've devoted more than my fair share of time designing aircraft.

One personal suggestion would be to have more weapons than Ace Combat... one basic missile for everything is pretty bland. You should also check out the Crimson Skies games.

I would also reconsider Oluseyi's idea, modding even with major modification is way way way easier than making an original game, although I think it would depend on if FlightGear had multiplayer in place already. I doubt between making a flight model and terrain and other gameplay programming you're looking at a realistic from-scratch project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!