• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ghidra

Real Time Animation Techniques?

This topic is 3721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been searching, but not sure what I am looking for is referred to as. I am looking for information and theory and code for real time animation. Or just how a animation rig is set up inside of game code. But I want to basically build something that is procedural. Is it just a series of matrix multiplications? With rules for rotation limits? Any help in appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
There are different levels of procedrual animations games use. At the core is the skeleton, which is as you've notice just a heiarchy of matrices and constraints. Simple animation engines can play back prerecoded transformations upon that skeleton and animating it, most games have this functionality, by chaining together snippets of prerecorded animiaitons they create more intresting beahvior.

A step up would be blending several animaitons or input sources to synthezie a new animiation, such as a walking sequence for the lower body and a juggling animiation with the upper body, in addition binding the rotation of the spine to the mouse allowing the user to twist the characters upper body. Then blending those together would result in a new synthetic animation. The hueritiscs for blending conflciting bone transformations is usually custom coded for each animation and set by the artist.

Then there are the purely procedrual animation technologies, such as inverse kinematics ( ie solving for the bone positions from a given goal state backwards to a given start state ). This has been around for along time and used in most professional level animaition engines, to allow characters to smoothly pickup objects, point at things etc..

Next are the physical based animaition system such as ragdolls. In these animations, the bones are replaced by a series of rigid objects linked together by some phyiscal constraints and animated in the physics engine. The more advance impelmentations have concepts of musclar tension to provide some resistance against total collapase of the skeleton. The're mostly used for death anmiations and knock down animiaitons. Recently people have been experimeneting with blending to and from these ragdoll animiaitons into the more traditonal animiaitons ( see Havoks ragdoll demos etc.. )

The state of the art for procedural animiaiton is a technology of combining phsycial based ragdolls and heurisitc controller technology ( ususally nerual nets tunned by genetic algorithims ). See for instance NaturalMotion.

Good Luck! Just google for some of those terms and you'll find all u need.

-ddn

Yes, thank you. That seems like a depth of information that will keep me busy for a while.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!