• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MPalhas

Unity SDL memory problem

This topic is 3680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. this is my first question in this community. i hope it's in the right the right section. and first of all, i'm sorry if my english is not correct. i've recently started to learn SDL by creating a game while reading a few tutorials. the game development is going pretty well, but i have a big problem. no matter what i do, even if i open the game and just stand still, the memory usage just keeps raising!! i think the most obvious source of the problem are the SDL_Surfaces. after searching a while, i tried to use SDL_FreeSurface every time i loaded a new Surface, but i didn't solve anything. most of the code where i handle Surfaces are in functions that are only executed at the start of each level, so the problem can't be with those, i think. so here's a part of my code that i think may be the problem this code is being constantly executed. it checks the current player position, and draws a message on the screen based on that position:
void drawMessage() {
	font = TTF_OpenFont("mainData/fonts/testFont.ttf", 32 ); 
	if (player.x+backgroundOfs.x < gBackground->w/2) {
		if (player.y+backgroundOfs.y < gBackground->h/2) {
			gMessage = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font, "The Top Left Room", textColor ); 
		}
		else	
		gMessage = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font, "The Bottom Left Room", textColor ); 
	}
	else {
		if (player.y+backgroundOfs.y < gBackground->h/2) {
			gMessage = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font, "The Top Right Room", textColor ); 
		}
		else	
		gMessage = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font, "The Bottom Right Room", textColor ); 
	}
	drawSurface(WIDTH/2-gMessage->w/2,50, gMessage, gScreen);
	SDL_FreeSurface(gMessage);
}
and here the code that draws the player sprite (the sprite is constantly changed, so this need to be continually executed:
void drawPlayer() {

if (player.movX>1 || player.movX<-1) {
		if (playerSpriteTick<30) {
			drawSurface(player.x, player.y, player.playerSprites, gScreen, &playerSpriteOfs[2]);
			playerSpriteTick++;
		}
		else if (playerSpriteTick<60) {
			drawSurface(player.x, player.y, player.playerSprites, gScreen, &playerSpriteOfs[3]);
			playerSpriteTick++;
		}
		else playerSpriteTick=0;
	}
	else if (player.movY>1 || player.movY<-1) {
		if (playerSpriteTick<30) {
			drawSurface(player.x, player.y, player.playerSprites, gScreen, &playerSpriteOfs[0]);
			playerSpriteTick++;
		}
		else if (playerSpriteTick<60) {
			drawSurface(player.x, player.y, player.playerSprites, gScreen, &playerSpriteOfs[1]);
			playerSpriteTick++;
		}
		else playerSpriteTick=0;
	}
	else {
        drawSurface(player.x, player.y, player.playerSprites, gScreen, &playerSpriteOfs[1]);
	}
}
the SDL_FreeSurface in the end of each code wasn't originally there, but it didn't change anything note that i'm using a custom function to draw the surfaces to screen. here's the function:
void drawSurface(int x, int y, SDL_Surface* source, SDL_Surface* destination, SDL_Rect* clip= NULL) {
	//Make a temporary rectangle to hold the offsets
	SDL_Rect offset;
	//Give the offsets to the rectangle
	offset.x = x;
	offset.y = y;

SDL_BlitSurface(source, clip, destination, &offset); 
}
so, could the problem be in this part of the code? what can i do to solve it? thanks in advance

Advertisement
It looks you open the font each time drawPlayer() is called (using TTF_OpenFont()), but you never close it.

or if you made

TTF_Font* font = TTF_OpenFont();

to:

static TTF_Font* font = TTF_OpenFont();

Quote:
Original post by ConorH
or if you made

TTF_Font* font = TTF_OpenFont();

to:

static TTF_Font* font = TTF_OpenFont();
Note that even if the pointer to the font object is made static, the font object will still need to be freed at some point.

A better solution would be to create the font once at startup and pass a reference/pointer to the font to the functions that require it and then clean it up when it is no longer needed. This holds true with most resources.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!