How do I fix/reset my disk partitioning(s?)

Started by
1 comment, last by DaedalusOwnsYou 15 years, 8 months ago
Ok here's the deal. I attempted to install Ubuntu and OpenSolaris on my Mac and it didn't work. I didn't care too much about it so I just forgot about it. But now, I want to install Windows Vista and I get errors when I run Bootcamp Assistance: "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restores to a single partition." Here is where I uploaded a screenshot of my disk utility window on my Macintosh HD partition tab and a pic of the error message I received when trying to run Bootcamp Assistance. I have my Mac disk and I just bought Vista so I have that disk too. My Mac(book) runs Mac OS X with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (whatever that means). Please help me and thank you in advance for your time.
Advertisement
How many partitions do you have? Is the partition from the failed Ubuntu/OpenSolairis instilations stil there? If so then you have to delete those extra partitions.
-------------------------------------------------my forum LINK: here
Mac boot right? Fire up disk utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility). On the left you'll see a list of all disks in the computer. The top most one should be your internal hard drive, followed by all the recognizable partitions on that disk (probably only 1, for the mac one, or maybe another for the failed ubuntu install). Select the top most entry, mine says "149.1 GB FUJITSU MHW2...". To the right are a bunch of tabs, select "Partition". Heres where it gets hairy. Boot camps expects a single partition, for mac. It then creates a second, for windows. The top one is probably mac, it should pre recognizable as such (Macintosh HD, or whatever you named it). The one(s) below that are bad, you need to delete them. Click on them to select, then click the little - sign below. Drag the corner of the mac partition so it fills up the whole space. Click apply, and make sure it warns you that the mac partition will NOT be erased. You don't want to have to reinstall mac. If you can't get it to say that you might as well reinstall mac from the leopard disk. Click apply, ok, continue, whatever to make it do its thing. Wait a long time until it's done, then try boot camp again.

Any further questions might be better directed at mac's website, or even a mac specific forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement