• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Headkaze

[.net] Unicode callbacks

This topic is 3683 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't seem to find any information on forcing a callback from a C++ dll to C# to use Unicode strings. I use a StringBuilder type for the function prototype but it doesn't seem to know it's a PWCHAR that is being returned. Is there any way to explicity tell it to expect a Unicode string? Here is the callback type in C++
typedef int (__stdcall *WMP_ERROR)(long ErrorCode, PWCHAR ErrorDesc);
and here it is defined in C#
public delegate void WMP_ERROR(uint ErrorCode, StringBuilder ErrorDesc);

[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.FunctionPtr)]
WMP_ERROR pError = null;
When I output ErrorDesc.ToString() it will only print the first letter of the string (as it would if it expects an Ansi string.

Advertisement
You could try this:
public delegate void WMP_ERROR(
uint ErrorCode,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] StringBuilder ErrorDesc
);
Hope that fixes it!

Could this be happening because you aren't using PWSTR (or LPWSTR)? PWCHAR is technically a pointer to a single character, not a string.

The actual issue with it displaying one letter is not because I was using PWCHAR because at the end of the day all I'm passing from the C++ dll to C# is a pointer value which changes from PWCHAR to LPWSTR when it's marshalled back to C#.

The problem was because C# defaults to an ANSI string pointer when using StringBuilder and a callback so when you try to output the string it outputs one letter because the second byte of the UNICODE string was NULL terminating the ANSI string. I believe UNICODE strings use two NULL's for the terminator.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!