Ti 84+ assembly programming

Started by
9 comments, last by steveworks 15 years, 9 months ago
During my math classes I have been playing some games on my TI 84+ and suddenly wondered how to make them. I have some programming experiance but no game making experiance and want to know if there are any good ground up assembly programming guides (I think it is the Zilog 80 processor) that would help me learn how to make assembly programs and eventually games. I have heard that assembly programming can be quite cryptic and difficult to learn so Im asking for recomendations. From what little I have seen asm gurru is good but does it apply to the calculator too? Any help is appreciated. [Edited by - steveworks on July 17, 2008 11:20:51 PM]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Advertisement
Yeah, cant be much help with the resources but assembly is like, very cryptic.
Its a step up from binary.
First a quick google turned up: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/TI-Basic

The TI 84,+ which is a glorified TI 83+, uses either assembly or the TI-Basic programming language. For you, as a beginner, I would recommend using their TI-Basic language, because assembly code requires an understanding of registers and an understanding of computer architecture.

Good luck!
TI SDK
∫Mc
Assembly in 28 days is generally regarded as the best guide there is, ignoring the fact that there's a bug in the first lesson and some of the documentation on interrupts is incorrect. The code for the first lesson should be this:

.nolist#include "ti83plus.inc"#define    ProgStart    $9D95.list.org    ProgStart - 2    .db    t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp    b_call(_ClrLCDFull)    ld    hl, 0    ld    (CurRow), hl ; penRow/penCol are for the small text (_vPutS) not the large text (_putS).    ld    hl, msg    b_call(_PutS)            ; Display the text    b_call(_NewLine)    retmsg:    .db "Hello world!", 0.end.end

I also like Patai Gergely's (aka CoBB) guide, and the Z80 user manual is a handy document.

ASMGuru for the TI calculators is to be avoided. It is not very well written (lots of commented source code dumps in no particular order), the author admits he doesn't really know what he was talking about at the time he wrote the guide and it's for the 83 series (which is not directly compatible with the 83+/84+ line).

If you join us at MaxCoderz you'll be able to get lots of help! [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I forgot to mention that I can already program in TI BASIC. I've done what I can (think of) with TI Basic and am now moving on the assembly. sorry if there was any confusion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
I checked out the asm 21 days tutorial and it looks pretty good. My only problem is that I can't get an emulator because I don't have a TI 83+ only a TI 84+. I need a rom image for an emulator to work but there isn't a rom_dump program for a usb cable. Does anyone have any Idea on how to get around this. ALSO ... The tutorial is asking for something called TASM any Idea why it is important. I'll join maxcoderz as soon as I have an email adress. my old one shut down.

sorry if im confusing.
any help is appreciated.

edit: Nevermind There is a graph link port on the ti84+... my bad

[Edited by - steveworks on July 18, 2008 3:17:08 PM]
Quote:Original post by steveworks
I checked out the asm 21 days tutorial and it looks pretty good. My only problem is that I can't get an emulator because I don't have a TI 83+ only a TI 84+.
TI Flash Debugger is an emulator that provides ROM images for the 73, 83+ and 83+SE.

Quote:The tutorial is asking for something called TASM any Idea why it is important.
TASM is a shareware assembler, ie the software that is used to assemble your source code into a binary. It's not very good, but most guides are written for it so it's best to stick with it until you have a better idea of what's going on, then you can switch to a better assembler.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

well I just came across an assembler called assembly studio (If you go to ticalc.org and search for it you should see it). Has anyone ever used it before? It looks pretty good so Im going to try it. Now I just need to find where I can download TI Flash Debugger.

I read on wikipidia that Flash Debugger doesn't emulate the Z80 processor very well. I's this true.

look at me Im just a bundle of questions :7)
Quote:Original post by steveworks
well I just came across an assembler called assembly studio (If you go to ticalc.org and search for it you should see it). Has anyone ever used it before? It looks pretty good so Im going to try it.
I strongly recommend you stick with TASM for the moment, even if just to get your first program assembled. Otherwise you'll have twice as much to learn!

Quote:I read on wikipidia that Flash Debugger doesn't emulate the Z80 processor very well.
The Flash Debugger's emulation is passable, but you can use the .clc files it comes with with other emulators. Alternatively, I believe that Wabbitemu emulates the 84+?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement