• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Davidtse

Camera System

This topic is 3798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in the process of writing my own camera system and I am not sure where to start. I don't really know anything about the math behind it so I guess that would be the best place to start, and then something on 3rd person camera systems and any other info. any help is appreciated(like links or tutorials on math/camera systems). Thanks, David

Advertisement
-Forget Euler Angles
-If you fiddle with trigonometry (except for creating a rotation matrix), you might be doing it in a pointlessly hard way
-Ignore everyone that says you _must_ use Quaternions (especially if they babble on about them as the only way to avoid gimbal lock)
-Read up on matrices and transformations
-Understand world and local/object space
-Build a simple matrix-based camera to move/rotate (if this has more than creating/multiplying and maybe zeroing/resetting the translation part, you might be doing too much)
-Google for simple spring/dampening equations, if you get tired of a completey undynamic 3rd person camera
-Have fun coming up with ways to avoid camera/object collisions and keeping the player in good view (many commercial games suck at the latter, so don't sweat it)

-Last but not least: use the search function, because "my camera is doing weird things"-threads are posted almost every day.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!