Opinions on using Ruby as a scripting language.

Started by
10 comments, last by -Datriot- 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Daerax
Doing a search on embedding ruby shows that it is not very difficult to embed ruby in C++. On .NET with IronRuby is trivial.

Theirs also Iron Python that has a lot of the same advantages, though I prefer Ruby to Python I'm using Iron Python because its a bit more developed and Iron Ruby only released their first official build about a week ago.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bearhugger
Ruby sounds like a very heavy scripting language, unlike Lua and Python. Not very suited to be embedded into a game. If you just need to make cutscenes, triggers, or enemy AI, you probably don't need the ability to create classes and singletons.

In RPG Maker XP it was a good idea to embed Ruby because it is basically just an engine and the entire game is built on top of it in Ruby. If your project is similar (ie: just a base engine with drawing and audio functions), I'd say go ahead and use Ruby, otherwise, as much as I like Ruby, I'd consider something else.

Yeah, I did plan to have a basic engine that handles drawing, audio and a bunch of utilities. ( and maybe some things that need C++'s speed, such as physics and such ) That's why I thought Ruby was perfect for it; that and its great support for functional programming.

After researching on how to embed it into my game, it doesn't seem so different from other scripting languages, and I've had some experiance with Lua, so it shouldn't be a problem. So I think I'll try my hand at using SWIG to embed it into my engine.

Thanks for the help guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement