• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mancubit

Show your application-projects!

This topic is 3624 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At the moment i try to learn everything in my free-time what helps me in getting a game developer. Everytime when i read, whats necessary to get into this industry, there is mentioned, that you need a good projects-portfolio to convince. So what level is needed in such a portfolio? and when is it good enough for it? I searched the board for answers but didnt found any :( may someone post some previews of what his portfolio contained?

Advertisement
You don't need a portfolio -- many places don't care, other places have widely different expectations of what you should submit, et cetera. However, since it's likely that you will end up wanting to apply to at least one place that requests code samples or demos, you may as well build a portfolio. If nothing else it will help focus your thoughts about the skills you can bring to the job.

That said, there are few guidelines for what a portfolio should contain. Frequently people tailor their submissions to suit the position applied for, by starting from a larger pool of their projects and removing ones that don't demonstrate their ability to the do the specific job as effectively.

In general, your portfolio should contain what you consider to be your best projects that you are most proud of, and/or that demonstrate your abilities clearly. What exactly that it is very much up to you, it won't help you if you get a list of stuff other people have used and try to write similar programs. That doesn't show off what you think you're good at. If you don't know what you're good at, perhaps its time to pick some kind of focus and practice that?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!