• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GameTusken

Not BloodShed

This topic is 3778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a quick one. I read on here a while ago that there was a free IDE that was pretty much the same as blood shed but was still supported and had built in GUI support. I installed it on my old laptop just be fore it died and I remember it looked pretty much identical, but pink or purple instead of blue. Does anyone have an idea what it is called as I can't find it here or online. Thanks all

Advertisement
Perhaps wxDev-C++, which is slightly better but still pretty iffy.

There's Code::Blocks, too.

And then there is Microsoft Visual C++ Express, which is what I would recommend.

wxDev++ was the one I had in mind! Thanks for that.

Why is it considered iffy, just out of interest? I have tried to stay away from Microsoft Visual C++ Express, as it seemed a bit non-standard/Mircosoft specific like most things they do.

Does anyone have any opinions on Code::Blocks or any other suggestions?

Quote:
Original post by GameTusken
I have tried to stay away from Microsoft Visual C++ Express, as it seemed a bit non-standard/Mircosoft specific like most things they do.

You can disable laguage extensions in the project properties with a simple click. Once disabled, the compiler is about as standards-conforming as most other C++ compilers (that is, it won't break unless you try to do very special things).

I would personally suggest using Visual C++ Express as well—the quality of the IDE and debugger is unparalleled.

A lot of people here recommend Visual C++ Express, so I'm sure it's pretty good. Personally, I use CodeBlocks because it runs on Windows and Linux. On Windows I use the VC++ compiler (I have the IDE installed too, encase I'd ever need it). If you're only going to work on Windows, try them both and see which you like better.

Also, I think CodeBlocks has a GUI designer for wxWidgets built in, I've never used it though.

Quote:

Why is it considered iffy, just out of interest? I have tried to stay away from Microsoft Visual C++ Express, as it seemed a bit non-standard/Mircosoft specific like most things they do.

Code::Blocks is great if you don't want to use MSVC++. I don't know that you could call Microsoft's products "non-standard" when they typically are setting the standard. It just seems a bit fanboy-ish...

Quote:

I have tried to stay away from Microsoft Visual C++ Express, as it seemed a bit non-standard/Mircosoft specific like most things they do.

Personally I encountered exactly one standards compliance issue with 2008, and it involved obscure template nesting, where MVS doesn't even issue a warning, while gcc properly throws error.

Unless you are working on boost, visual studio is just as standards compliant as gcc. That is, they are both good enough as far as practicality goes.

Quote:
Original post by bschneid
Quote:

Code::Blocks is great if you don't want to use MSVC++. I don't know that you could call Microsoft's products "non-standard" when they typically are setting the standard. It just seems a bit fanboy-ish...

Some just have a negative impression of Microsoft. In the past Microsoft's use of it's dominance to "set standards" wasn't necessarily a good thing. Indeed we're talking about a convicted monopolist.

There is also Eclipse IDE, which I haven't used a lot, but it seems to be pretty good. I believe it integrates with gcc or mingw or something.

I use Pelles C for C development at work. It supports Microsoft and Pelles extensions, so you don't have to declare variables in the beginning of the block, etc. Also has a very good resource editor (lots of bugs of course, but still very good).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!