Game Programming Colleges trouble.

Started by
6 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 9 months ago
New here, but a long time fan of programming. I graduated High School with pretty bad math grades due to attendance..would I be able to get into a decent college if I take some community college math classes? I'm not math stupid, so I'm sure I'd 100% be able to get great scores on SAT/ACTs but I'm worried that colleges won't even accept me because of my high school grades.. Is there anything I can do?
Advertisement
I'd presume that some good SAT math scores would trump poor grades, or at least lend credence to the attendance excuse.

Though if you have the option, using a time machine to go back and slap yourself around a bit would be ideal.
I can't really slap myself since it's more of a family emergency(major one) as to why I was missing so much school. My other teachers were understanding about it, bring an f to a b and a d to an a, but my math teacher was the only one who didn't care.
Quote:Original post by DannyG
New here, but a long time fan of programming. I graduated High School with pretty bad math grades due to attendance..would I be able to get into a decent college if I take some community college math classes? I'm not math stupid, so I'm sure I'd 100% be able to get great scores on SAT/ACTs but I'm worried that colleges won't even accept me because of my high school grades.. Is there anything I can do?

Depends on your idea of decent. MIT probably not. A decent state school probably doesn't have that high reqs for GPA. Purdue is in your neck of the woods and is ranked around 24th in the nation for CS programs. Their entry requirements look something like:
3.1-3.8 (on a 4.0 scale) was the middle 50% GPA for Purdue’s entering freshman.
the middle 50% SAT was 1500-1860. For the ACT, the middle 50% was 23-28.

Do you have those sort of numbers? Go to a higher ranked school the numbers will be higher, go to a lower ranked school the numbers will be lower.

Ohio State University is ranked 34. I didn't see specifics but they do state:
* 91% of our admitted students ranked in the top quarter of their graduating classes
* 57% of our admitted students ranked in the top 10% of their graduating classes
If it was that big of an emergency, usually the school's policy will dictate how your grades are affected, if at all. You should really look into it and appeal to the dean or school board if that is the case. It may be, though, that you were already on your way to a poor grade in that class and the teacher simply didn't want to give you an artificially inflated score due to an unfortunate coincidence. The aim of such policies is, after all, to keep your grades where they should have been without all the distraction, not to unjustly reward your bout with adversity.

I'm not making any judgements as I don't know you, your situation, or the teacher and school in question. I'm just pointing out that you should be sure that you are being truly honest with yourself about whether or not you got the grade you deserved.

If you cannot correct this issue, then you are in an unfortunate position. You either look bad for the grade, or have to explain the situation -- and depending how sincere they believe you to be, you may risk being labeled a slacker, an excuse-maker, or worse, a liar. The community college classes may be a good option, and will show additional initiative.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Also transfer admission is a lot easier than straight admission, so going the CC and transfer route may be easier.
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
Also transfer admission is a lot easier than straight admission, so going the CC and transfer route may be easier.

That depends on what schools you plan on transferring to. For example, Stanford took less than two percent of transfer-hopefuls last year. They took ten percent of regular applications. Then again, that's Stanford. Ohio State University (Columbus campus) accepted about 85% of transfers last year. Clearly, there's a big difference.
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
Quote:Original post by stonemetal

That depends on what schools you plan on transferring to. For example, Stanford took less than two percent of transfer-hopefuls last year. They took ten percent of regular applications. Then again, that's Stanford. Ohio State University (Columbus campus) accepted about 85% of transfers last year. Clearly, there's a big difference.

I'd suck it up and go to your local community college kick ass and maybe even get some scholarships if you stand out and transfer.
At least I know someone in the C++ class I just took at my local community college just transfered to UC Berkeley and got a scholarship to boot! Would've never have guessed having been in the same class. Then again maybe he wrote a killer essay?
I had a friend that got the worst grades ever in High School get accepted into the University of California school system which is supposed to be pretty hard also by writing a killer essay. I guess they really do read and take those into account. They did force him to take some remedial classes though since his grades sucked so much.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement