I seek to learn.

Started by
2 comments, last by yaustar 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I just joined this site but have wanted to get into the industry since I was 12. I have written and created several concepts, most have been scrapped, but the ones I've kept are still in the design stage and are pretty good in my opinion. The game concepts I have created have yet to become programmed into a game, they are all still written pieces of work. The games I will try to make spread across several genres and I try to re-invent them in my own way. I join this site to seek the opinions and knowledge of those who understand game development and the industry much more than me.I really want to learn how to program as well, if you know any good sites for beginners please suggest them. I wish to show the consumers that games are truly an art waiting to be shown, not just a medium for entertainment. Please give constructive criticism to the concepts I tell and posts I make.
Advertisement
You want to learn? Then learn. We encourage you in your efforts to learn, but ultimately, you need to spend your time and effort looking for information, since it's all out there in the open. If you're wondering what kind of advice we give to beginners, start reading the archive of posts in this beginner subforum. Read hundreds of posts, and absorb the advice.

Or Google, and see what others have said.
Welcome!

You're pretty much sitting on a mountain of information here and the basics of it all is organized in the Resources->For Beginners section. Start there and google around if you have any problems. If you can't solve 'em, come back and we'll try to help you out.

Some advice, start off simple. Even if you have a lot of big ideas rattling around in your head or on paper, it may be a little while before you can dive into projects of this magnitude. There's no shame in starting out with a Tetris/Breakout/Asteroids clone. Before you can start on even a simple project, there's a laundry list of things that you should know how to do first:

- Read mouse and keyboard input
- Read and write files
- Serialization and deserialization of data and data streams
- Basics of memory management
- Some basic knowledge of data strucures (lists, vectors, binary trees)
- Rendering to the screen (at least 2D)
- Using the system clock for real-time calculations and timers
- GUI programming
- Simple physics

Some other things that would be good to know (after getting the hang of all-of-the-above) are multi-threading, networking, event handling, resource management and scripting.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
If you are more interested in making your games into reality rather then learning to be a programmer, consider using 'game maker' like tools like YoYo GameMaker.

It will get you to a stage where you can build and play your game more quickly and you can learn how to program using it's scripting language if you need to write some features not supported by the tool.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement