• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi Klooops

Quick Advice

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Everyone! This is Kiwi.. I have been programming (web-based scripts using PHP+MySQL, web hosting, server management etc.) for 8 years now and I have been contemplating game programming for sometime.. Recently, I decided to take the plunge and get started with game programming. I have been reading articles on GameDev and other places to get a feel of the industry and some advice on how to get started.. Based on that, here's the plan that I made for myself - 1. Learn Windows Programming + DirectX (I have a decent amount of experience with C/C++, but none with DirextX) 2. Brush up my C/C++ Skills 3. Start making basic games (pong, mario-style side scrollers, pacman etc.) 4. Try bigger and better games I have the following books to help me with those goals ==> Beginning Game Programming - Jonathan S. Harbour Beginning DirectX 10 Game Programming - Wendy Jones Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX - Jim Adams I plan to go through them in that order.. Does my plan seem alright to you guys? Do you see any loopholes in here? One more thing, I chose DirectX instead of OpnGL, because I find that DirectX has more books and other help available on it and even though the learning curve will be bigger with DirectX, it is (from what I can see) the choice for professional gaming studios. Do you think that should be fine? One more thing, I am a Sophomore in college right now, majoring in Computer Science; and this is the time when I have to choose my field.. Before I do that and get seriously into game programming I had the following questions ==> 1. Does game programming pay more than (or atleast equal to) the other fields of CS - a. when we start out? b. and what about later on as we get more experience? 2. I am considering doing a management minor and a communications minor because I don't want to do just game programming for the rest of my life.. I'd like to branch out and go into the management side - this doesn't necessarily mean starting my own studio, but maybe being able to be the inchrage of a whole game under a big development studio/publishing house like EA.. Will both these minors help in that respect? Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Kiwi Klooops
1. Does game programming pay more than (or atleast equal to) the other fields of CS -
a. when we start out?
b. and what about later on as we get more experience?
If you are a programmer, and you are interested in maximizing your earnings, you would do well to stay the hell away from game development.

If you can, I would add Mike McShaffry's Game Coding Complete to your list of books. It's a good one for win32/directx programmers.

Yes, it's true. People will often take game development jobs at a lower wage because they want to make games. By contrast, nobody takes a C++ job in a bank because they want to write banking software. As a consequence, if your C++ is good, and you wish to earn a lot, go for a development job in a financial corporation.

But writing a bank software is like the most boring job ever!
I don't want to spend the rest of my sitting in a gloomy office coding a meaningless Bank software..

What is the difference in pay? Like on an average..

Quote:
Original post by Kiwi Klooops
But writing a bank software is like the most boring job ever!

Which is why you get paid more for doing it. If a job in the video game industry had the same wage as a job in the bank industry, who would ever want to work for a bank?

Quote:
I don't want to spend the rest of my sitting in a gloomy office coding a meaningless Bank software..

If you want to spend the rest of your life as a programmer, you already have a problem. As you mentioned, moving on to one form of management or another is a good idea. In that respect, however, I have mixed feelings about a minor in management—better get some fat money as soon as possible and pay yourself an MBA.

Regarding the pay, the upper limit for financial SW, as far as I could browse last time, is around 100k-160k GBP per year (though, probably only few reach taht high). Whereas, as a game programmer, you`d be happy to earn 40k as a senior programmer. So, that`s a factor of 4:1

If you don`t mind living whole life in a cheap shi*hole and working extremely hard just to make your ends meet and explain your children why you can`t afford going to same vacations as their friends (not even talking about the living standard, in general), spending lots of weekends at work, by all means, go for the game programming as your carreer ;-)

If your wife works as a senior manager with high pay, it might be survivable, though. At least, until her patience doesn`t wear off...

Toohrvyk - I`d love to work on financial SW with the prospects of earning up to 100k-160k down the road :-) With so much money you could afford taking 3 months of vacation after the project ends and travel the world or spend the time with kids. Which is something you can`t afford as a game programmer...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!