• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jchmack

Standardized polygon counts?

This topic is 3778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a place I can refer to that gives me an idea of how many polys should be on my characters? levels? I know that this will vary from game to game but maybe I can find a game similar to my look.

Advertisement
Number of polygons you render is almost completely irrelevant metric. It depends on how they are sent, how large they are, and probably several more factors.

Last recommendation I saw from one of card manufacturers was to send as many as possible. But the trick comes from organizing them in optimal way, which is a considerably more challenging task.

In short - such numbers are meaningless, but they are in 10-100k per frame, growing steadily, depending on target platform and audience.

Well i am asking this more to direct my artist than anything. They always ask "What kind of poly budget do we have" and truthfully all I can do is put objects into my engine and see how it runs. I am not as experienced in the art side of development as I am in programming.

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. We are developing for PC (mid range specs). I would say that the graphics level is about the same as ut2004. What should i tell them. I usually basically say that it depends on many of the factors you pointed out.

Enough to make a make a detailed model, but not too many to lower the framerate below what you desire. Frustum culling triangles/models is definitely needed, you can look at a game like WoW which has what looks like very low poly models because they render many in a single scene or at Unreal Tournament which is much higher poly. Depends on what you are doing really, use efficient rendering techniques and do whatever you can to help speed up rendering like VBOs for OpenGL and other things like that. Having a low and high poly model to use depending on what you need it for might also be a good idea.

I found this picture of unreal tournament which I find cool since it shows the wireframe, looks very high poly to me:
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/1/potd/1193800353_24.jpg

I guess I am looking for a site that might list what games have what polycounts (average/estimated) per scene/character/level so I can make comparisons and get a rough (very rough) estimate to tell my artists.

I really understand that this number varies widely per game and even in the same game. I understand that you should limit the number of visible polys using as many programming techniques as possible (I am using ogre3d and I know it already has many optimizations built in). I just don't know how good 10k or 100k polys look. I have an visual image in my mind but I cannot convert that to a polycount.

Sorry if i haven't been very clear.

[Edited by - jchmack on July 18, 2008 5:30:41 PM]

Well, there is always normal mapping which can make low poly models looks exactly like their high poly counterpart. As you can see in wikipedia's picture, it made a 500 poly model look almost identical to its 4 million poly counterpart.

In unreal engine I think the model polycount is around 5,000 and the texture dimensions are 2048x2048. Of course, their technology is very advanced and can support this while maintaining a high framerate. So I would say aim at a lowish framerate, you be the judge, and see how your game handles rendering a lot of them, we can't suggest any specific number since it varies very widely, but see how it goes, you can always raise the poly count and add more details in your models if your game can handle higher poly counts I guess.

[Edited by - Tenac on July 18, 2008 8:07:49 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!