• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
In_Yack_Mode

new to programming

This topic is 3624 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm pretty new to programming and have built a bunch of calculators and text based games and things like that over the past year and now want to start making graphical games does anyone have any online tutorials or book suggestions? thank you

Advertisement
First thing: Choose OpenGL or Direct3D, I use OpenGL but it's preference, look into which one you would rather choose. Second, look up some basic tutorials, there are hundreds all over the internet, all can be found by google. And choose what you are going to do, maybe a tetris/pong game first, maybe a 2D tile game, maybe straight into a 3D game (which is what I did), it's all about what you want to do, give us an idea what you want to do.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a game i would like to clone but im not sure what its called but theres a bunch of block and you have a paddle and a ball and you hit the ball and break the blocks, what should i do to try and make that?

You want to make a game similiar to Brick breaker I guess, so what you need to do it choose your rendering API (OpenGL or Direct3D), I suggest using SDL also for creating the game window, keyboard/mouse input, a way to load pictures (I use SDL_image), and lastly just read up on some tutorials. Pretty much your just going to have a ball with a speedX, speedY, locationX, locationY, directionX, directionY, and every frame add the directions to the locations and check if it is colliding with the paddle/bricks which have the varaibles locationX, locationY, width, height. It's going to involve some thinking but if you can read/understand tutorials nicely and know a some C++, you should be fine.

Thanks for another quick reply that helps and yes the game is probably called brick breaker.

What are the main differences between DirectX and OpenGL? I searched it on wikipeidia and it says DirectX was designed by Microsoft does that mean it only works on Microsoft?

Quote:
Original post by In_Yack_Mode
does that mean it only works on Microsoft?

DirectX only works on Windows

Quote:
anyone have any online tutorials or book suggestions?

Personally I would recommend picking up a copy of the SDL and/or SFML SDKs, since these libraries will give you a springboard that will teach you some of the basics you'll need to develop further (e.g. game logic, vectors, etc).

Of course, as mentioned you can always try your hand at one of the two big graphics APIs, though you can expect a lot more initial resistance, since there's a lot more to cover before you can do anything really practical. If you go with OpenGL the NeHe Tutorials will surely be of some use to you, and there are a slew of books available for both APIs.

Quote:
I have a game i would like to clone(...)

The game you're looking for is called Breakout.

I switched from OpenGL to DirectX because I had enough with ATI drivers issues.

OpenGL is easier to get started however in the long run DirectX pays off imo.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!