• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Humble Hobo

Pseudo-Design Document

This topic is 3720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have one or two concepts that I would like to incorporate into a design document. However, I don't want to flesh out an entire game just to express those ideas. Notably, I want to see how dynamic content generation would fit into an action RPG. Where objectives change depending on what is currently going on in the world, and you get to effect what is happening around you. The system is actually designed for an MMO, but I think it would be wisest to develop it into an imaginary single-player RPG first, so I don't have to worry about the thousand other aspects of MMOs yet. I'm also trying to test out a new combat system that is extremely simple to learn, but provides a lot of strategy and skill. I'm thinking the best way to do this is to make a simple mini-world with a basic plot, and and when I get ideas like these, I can just plop them into the pre-set background. On a very small scale (small world, only two factions, two classes), balance will be easy, and I'll be better prepared to write a larger scale design document for an MMO. Do you think this is a good approach, or just a waste of time? Do you have your own quick, easy methods of fleshing out on-the-spot ideas? -Humble Hobo

Advertisement
Hum wrote:
>I have one or two concepts that I would like to incorporate into a design document. However, I don't want to flesh out an entire game just to express those ideas.
>Do you think this is a good approach,

Why do you need anyone's approval? If that's what you want to do, why not just do it.

>or just a waste of time?

"Waste of time" questions are a waste of time.

>Do you have your own quick, easy methods of fleshing out on-the-spot ideas?

No, not really. As long as nobody's counting on me or paying me, I just spend as much time as I feel like on any particular project.

Quote:
Original post by Humble Hobo

Do you have your own quick, easy methods of fleshing out on-the-spot ideas?

Making a (relatively) quick prototype using whatever tools you are most comfortable with. I often use something like Python for this (which also allows me to easily download the small installer whenever I feel like playing with an idea when not around my own computer). When testing gameplay mechanics, you can often get away with a fairly low-tech or abstracted prototype (often 2D is fine, but it does depend on the mechanic being tested), rather than creating a high-fidelity prototype which simply has stripped-down content.

Quote:
Original post by Humble Hobo
I'm thinking the best way to do this is to make a simple mini-world with a basic plot...

Do you think this is a good approach, or just a waste of time?

I would say it depends how simple this mini-world would be to implement. Again, there is a trade of between time and a prototype which might give you a better idea of the end product. The process of making a prototype can often lead to ideas in new directions when implementing your original plans.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!