• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gawain22

Python IDE

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well , I just downloaded Python and am now looking for an IDE to write code in. I am having trouble finding one for Python. I was wondering what's the best IDE to use? Right now I am using PyPE to write my scripts. I did look at the Wings IDE and was thinking about buying the Personal Edition , but I wanted to wait and see if there were any other options. Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
I'm currently using Pydev, an Eclipse plug-in for Python. You'll also need Eclipse.

Thanks , I'll give it a try.

Once again , thank you.

Quote:
Original post by Gawain22
Quote:
I'm currently using Pydev, an Eclipse plug-in for Python. You'll also need Eclipse.

Thanks , I'll give it a try.

Would you happen to know if the "PyDev Extensions" plugin for PyDev is worth downloading?

Once again , thank you.

I'm afraid not. I'm currently teaching myself the basics of Python, and grabbed Eclipse and PyDev simply because I wanted an IDE with Python formatting. I haven't worked on a project advanced enough to need worry about more advanced features.

This is also why I should clarify that I can't say authoritatively that Eclipse with PyDev is the "best" by any measure as I haven't done any comparisons. I'd be interested in what other people recommend.

Alright , thank you.

I am hoping it is compatible with Python 2.5.x. It says it works with 2.4.x and 2.3.x , but nothing about 2.5.x.

I've got Python 2.5.1 installed on my iMac right now, so I'm assuming it's fine. However I don't think I've done anything that's specific to Python 2.5.x.

Quote:
I've got Python 2.5.1 installed on my iMac right now, so I'm assuming it's fine. However I don't think I've done anything that's specific to Python 2.5.x.

Great! Thank you so much for your help. =)

For now I'll try Eclipse with the PyDev plugin , but if anyone else has any other useful IDEs that'd be great.

Thanks.

Best Python IDE I've used, but not free (or even really cheap anymore) is Active State Komodo IDE. I have 3.5 Personal Edition, which cost $35 but is no longer offered. Upgrading to 4.x will cost me $295, but it's much improved over the 3.x branch - the version control system integration, stability and debugging enhancements are worth the price of admission. JavaScript debugging support is pure gravy.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Best Python IDE I've used, but not free (or even really cheap anymore) is Active State Komodo IDE. I have 3.5 Personal Edition, which cost $35 but is no longer offered. Upgrading to 4.x will cost me $295, but it's much improved over the 3.x branch - the version control system integration, stability and debugging enhancements are worth the price of admission. javascript debugging support is pure gravy.

Thank you for the link ; that looks very good , but I don't have a spare $295 dollars to spend at the moment. Maybe when I learn more of the language I will upgrade to that one ........ it looks very nice.

The only other IDE I have seen that looks like something worth buying (for a reasonable price at this point in time) is the Wing IDE , and the personal edition is $35 , just like your version.

Wings IDE - Personal Edition

Has anyone used this IDE and would like to comment on it?

P.S. Oluseyi , I don't know if you know this , but I read on ActiveState's website that since you have the personal edition you can upgrade to 4.x for a cheaper price than $295.

Komodo IDE Upgrade Page

When using scripting languages like python, I prefer just to use a nice text editor with syntax highlighting, such as Notepad++

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

I highly recommend it. Extremely nice editor with support for many languages.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!