GDNet at the Movies: The Dark Knight

Started by
116 comments, last by Hodgman 15 years, 8 months ago
Excelent movie, I felt that with the Joker alive in the end, they probably wanted to keep him as a main villain for the third, after all he DID win this round, did you really expect the third one to be Jokerless?. I guess most people correlate Ledger death with the Joker's death, and thus no one seems to acknowledge the fact that in the film he remains alive.

Now, regarding the third installment, sadly, I think that there is no way for the story to go but downhill, I am expecting a flop to follow as it is usual from Hollywood, sequels are usually bad and not as good as the original, but there are exceptions (Empire Strikes Back, Spiderman 2), a good third movie? that's another story.

Quote:Original post by SwitchIn
Am I alone in thinking the Batman with Georgy Clooney and Arnold/Mr Freeze was the best one ever?

Oh Yes, Yes you are.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Oh Yes, Yes you are.

While looking back at Batman and Robin is hilarious, the guy hosting the video seems to think he is WAY funnier than he is. God I wanted him to just shut the hell up, he was worse than the movie.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Yeah, Watchmen gave me a huge boner. It looks very faithful to the comic, although there's definitely too much in that book for one feature-length film. If they adapt the writing as beautifully as they adapted the visuals, I think my head may explode.

Also, Terminator 4 with Christian Bale? It's like someone drilled into my skull and projected my deepest dreams and desires onto the screen during the previews.

Still getting through the thread (having only seen TDK on friday and been away all weekend), but I've got to comment on this.

I have 0 expectations for Watchmen. I tend to agree with Moore that I don't think it'd work on film and even if it did, I do not believe for 1 second Zak Snyder is remotely capable of successfully translating something as dense and complex as Watchmen.

As for Terminator 4? Meh, 3 was average and 4 is being directed by McG. Spare me.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
6/10.

Joker was absolutely flawless.

Christian Bale, as Bruce Wayne.. he's fine. Christian Bale as Batman is absolutely horrible. It's like watching a 5 year old in a costume, trying as hard as possible to lower his voice and sound "bad ass". It was so terribly forced I had to hold back my laughter every time he spoke.

"What's the difference between you and me!?"
-- Sucks in air -- "I'm not wearing hockey pants!" (or some shit)

That, and every single "supporting" character in the movie was absolutely awful. The cops in the armored police van? The people in the fucking ferries? It made me cringe.

Harvey Dent was amazing, until you know, his face was blown off. Sloppiest and most rushed transformation of all time. Complete and utter fucking waste of his character -- worse than Venom's in SP3. Why? Because I really fucking loved the character before they decided to completely shit all over him.

Ugh. This movie could have been so much better, if only they removed Joker's godly vice-like grip on the city and impossibly perfect "planning", told Christian Bale to stop acting like a fucking idiot inside his costume, and told each and every other cast member "Hey, see Ledger over there? He's making you look like ass. Seriously. Act better."

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

^^^ That brings up the one scene with Batman talking with Lucius Fox. In his Batman voice. Why is he doing that?

But, eh, I loved the movie. [smile]
Right, finally read through the thread and in finest intarweb tradition, I'm going to chime in with my NZ$0.02

First up, yeah, it was freakin' awesome. The whole cast was excellent, but completely eclipsed by Ledger. Previously, I haven't had a lot of time for him, but he was amazing in this. That said, when you get a character as amazing as this joker, you've got space to show your chops. If he doesn't at least get an Oscar nod, there's no justice (ironically, that would be kinda fitting for his character!!).

It's a lot harder to impress with a character like Batman, but I think Bale did a great job, and is probably (and justifiably, IMHO) a little miffed about being generally ignored by the media (although I think the "Batman voice" was a bit over the top).

I can't believe no-one's mentioned it yet, but I have to say one of my favourites scenes in the whole movie, was when the joker staggers out of the hospital in the nurses uniform clicking the detonator. It just captured his character perfectly.

One of the big revelation moments for me was when Batman drops Moroni from the fire escape and Moroni points out that Batman can't compete with the joker in terms of intimidation. (As a side note, I was sitting beside a mate who suffered a fall from a similar height in a paraglider and broke both his legs. He couldn't even look at the scene [grin] )

If I was to be picky, I wasn't too impressed by the fight scenes. Fair enough, it's not a "fight" movie, but Batman is continually represented as one of the worlds best martial artists and I kinda felt like they weren't bothered with it in TDK.

Other than that, I loved it. Begins showed there was the potential to make the Batman movie I knew was possible and TDK delivered. In spades.

Can't wait to see it again.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by Salsa
Christian Bale, as Bruce Wayne.. he's fine. Christian Bale as Batman is absolutely horrible. It's like watching a 5 year old in a costume, trying as hard as possible to lower his voice and sound "bad ass". It was so terribly forced I had to hold back my laughter every time he spoke.

">Apparently you're not the only one of the opinion.
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
First things first: saw it on IMAX yesterday morning, thought it was amazing. Lived up to the hype in my eyes. I was very, very impressed.

Great to see Cillian Murphy back as Scarecrow. "Not my diagnosis!" - excellent.

Also, I didn't think his low voice was strange at all - or put on. You could argue it's part of Wayne's Batman persona, but I always assumed that the Batsuit had a voice modulator built into it for further anonymity. This would explain why he still talks to Lucius Fox in the deep voice.

Think I'm off to see it again tonight :)
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Harvey Dent was amazing, until you know, his face was blown off. Sloppiest and most rushed transformation of all time. Complete and utter fucking waste of his character -- worse than Venom's in SP3. Why? Because I really fucking loved the character before they decided to completely shit all over him.

I disagree, it was rushed, sure, but his transformation made some sense, his character was not really the "white knight" everyone thought it was even before, and you could argue that the disfigurement messed his brain in some way, so in my mind the award for "Sloppiest and most rushed transformation of all time" still goes to Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith.
Christian Bale as Batman is absolutely horrible. It's like watching a 5 year old in a costume

I think the one thing they messed up with was that they shot batman just standing around in too brightly lit situations, and in such obvious light it seemed a bit odd. If they had a bit more "CSI" lighting, and made him more standing away and out of the scene (like how he talks to Gordon outside his house, the complete opposite of his conversation on the roof with Gordon and Dent where he's just standing there, come on he's supposed to live in the shadows!). I think that was one thing they missed.

trying as hard as possible to lower his voice and sound "bad ass". It was so terribly forced I had to hold back my laughter every time he spoke.

Yeah it did seem a little silly, but if I remember correctly in the comics he had a speaker in his chest plate that filtered his voice to make him sound like the badass demon voice he does, which helps intimidate people and cover his normal voice. If you subscribe to that theory he always has it on it makes a bit more sense why he does it all the time, but I mean he spoke like that in Batman Begins anyway. Still, it was a bit of a surprise when he was in the bank vault and busted that voice out, but like I said above, I think that was just because he was standing there in full light (both scenes I thought his voice sounded silly where the same exact two scenes that bugged me in my first point, so yeah it could just be that) (EDIT - After reading the post by Oluseyi, I did some poking around and I think I'm wrong about the voice filter he uses in the comics. I'm sure I read it somewhere or someone told me, but reading on Wikipedia it seems to be the complete opposite of what Batman is about that he would use one, so ignore me!)

Harvey Dent was amazing, until you know, his face was blown off. Sloppiest and most rushed transformation of all time.

I thought it was done perfectly. I don't see how much slower they could have taken it without splitting it over two movies. It obviously showed how he was getting frustrated with the laws inability to stop evil, and how at one point he just said "Screw this" and decided to take the law into his own hands before Batman pulled him back. Losing Rachel, his face, his life, batman and Gordon screwing him over, it was enough to push him back over that edge same edge again, except this time he had the Joker egging him on (and the Joker can be a hell of an influence). I mean it was a heck of a lot better than Darth Vader [wink]

if only they removed Joker's godly vice-like grip on the city and impossibly perfect "planning"

While I agree by the time it got to the boats I was thinking "Jesus, how many places can this guy be at once?", but I think it was necessary to show how one man/terrorist could place the entire city under lockdown (I'm reminded on the sniper attacks in America). It could be easily explained as to say his thugs do most of the setting up for him and he just turns up to run the show since they always seem to be around, but I think that it was more of a "yeah it's pushing it, but it's needed to show just how much of an unstoppable force he is (like a terrorist cell?) and Batman always being 2 steps behind" decision by the writers.

[Edited by - boolean on July 28, 2008 2:27:34 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement