Create midi file from cue points?

Started by
2 comments, last by tasen 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi all. I've got a .wav file that I've "chopped up" (RE: marked the start of every beat) in Sound Forge, and was wondering if there is any way to generate a midi file based on where I've placed the markers. Unfortunately Sound Forge won't save or export midi files directly. I have sliced the .wav up based on the markers and would like to use a midi file to trigger each slice. I know that when I save the .wav file the markers are stored in the cue chunk of the .wav (refer http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/wavefiles.html#cue). Is there a way to convert this information into a midi file? Basically every cue point would trigger one of the slices... I've been hunting around trying to find any applications that can do this, but it seems there aren't any. I started writing my own program to do it, and I can retrieve all the cue points fine, I'm just having loads of trouble with creating a midi file and understanding the midi file format. All help appreciated.
Advertisement
youd have to use a sequencer that lets you draw midi notes. youll have to set the tempo to that of the chopped clip then write down the milliseconds and such of the beat markers to get the exact times, then just draw the midi notes at those times.
ever since i was 5, i have always loved the marriage between image and music.
It's not exactly the answer you're after, but are you aware of Propellerheads Recycle?
www.t00nz.net
Quote:Original post by CitizenJames
youd have to use a sequencer that lets you draw midi notes. youll have to set the tempo to that of the chopped clip then write down the milliseconds and such of the beat markers to get the exact times, then just draw the midi notes at those times.

Yeah that's what I had been doing, but it's a little cumbersome.

Quote:Original post by t00nz
It's not exactly the answer you're after, but are you aware of Propellerheads Recycle?

I am indeed, but unfortunately I don't have access to it at the moment. It would certainly make things a lot easier though.

Thanks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement