• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alina_85

OpenGL C++ or C# ?

This topic is 3719 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello ! I want to start an opengl project and I don't know what is the best for that : C++ or C#. I preffer C# but....I'm still undecided. Hope you can help me with some advices. Thanks !

Advertisement
You prefer C#, so use it. The only reason not to would be issues with unsupported platforms, but if you're using OpenGL, then the Mono project *should* be able to run the C# program. Hands down, the best language is the one you're the most comfortable with, especially with two pretty similar languages like C# and C++.

Although i think this question is slightly off topic, i recommend C# or any other nice high-level language over the low-level C or its weird mutation C++. The Language doesn't matter much though: just use what you like and know. Being able to read C helps because most of the examples you will encounter are written in C. I for one use Common Lisp for OpenGL programming, which makes me weird. People also use Python, Perl, Java or about every other language out there.

you need to decide which do you prefer:
being 5 times more productive or gaining 5% more performance.

(rough estimate of course)

Befeore every new project I ask myself the same question :-)

I usually go for C# since it is way more comfortable and I get my results a lot faster. Debugging is also easier in my opionon.

But of course there are times I have to do crazy low level stuff or need maximum performance. Then C++ is the better choice...

I use C# + OpenGL (through OpenTK) for my thesis and the combination is quite good. I develop primariliy on Windows (VS2008), but test the binaries on Linux/Mono.

Quote:
Original post by VanKurt
Befeore every new project I ask myself the same question :-)

I usually go for C# since it is way more comfortable and I get my results a lot faster. Debugging is also easier in my opionon.

But of course there are times I have to do crazy low level stuff or need maximum performance. Then C++ is the better choice...

What is it about C# that makes getting results faster?

Quote:
What is it about C# that makes getting results faster?

the standard answer is less memory issues

Im very dubious about some of these things to make it easier for programmers, eg I do a bit of actionscript as well, now there u can type in a lot of crap + it just accepts it, until finally something overwhelms it (+ then try to find the original error :) ). Perhaps easier to understand is a similar story with c++ and visual c, how many messages have u seen on these boards, 'it works in debug + not in release'

not to mention all the crap it does behind the scenes trying to organize your code to be faster

Quote:
being 5 times more productive or gaining 5% more performance.
(rough estimate of course)
extremely rough, perhaps u meant 5x performance + 5% more productive

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!