• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Prasath_AMD

Java or C#.NET? Which way should i go?

This topic is 3619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I have just started to program games, Currently I'm programming some simple 2D games using CPP & Win32API. Soon after learning some basic 3D Graphics Math, I plan to move towards Direct 3D.I already know CPP pretty well. I also want to program some casual games using some other language, Java was my first option as a secondary language for programming casual games but, Microsoft's XNA Game Studio made me rethink whether i should go for Java or C#.NET? I want to be a professional Graphics programmer in the field one day and I know that CPP is the language of choice for commercial games(Games like Half-Life 2,Crysis etc.....). But for now as a casual-time developer which language should I choose to work with? Should I go for Java? Or Should I go for C#.NET?. In fact the only reason I'm thinking of going the C#.NET way is because of the XNA Game Studio & by learning the .NET FrameWork i can also write Managed C++ code to aid native C++ code at some places.

Advertisement
On the other hand, Java games could also run on mobile phones or in a web browser. If it comes to it, flip a coin. [smile]

Personally, I prefer C# (Java has a few questionable areas in its design and Microsoft's tools cannot be beaten). XNA is very nice, too.

It doesn't matter, use the language your most comfortable with.

Well I'd go with C# just for the fact that you are most likely already using and comfortable with the Visual Studio IDE.
I've programmed in C# and Java and one thing that always bugged me with Java is never finding an IDE that I liked compared to VS, although I hear Eclipse is pretty good nowadays?

Well personally as a casual game developer I use C++. The disadvantage to using XNA is that not everyone has video cards that support the required shader model and the huge runtime distribution makes using XNA an issue (not even including the fact that I don't know if you can sell stuff made for the PC using XNA).

Several casual developers I know use various game engines that have python bindings (Such as PyCap) to make casual games so using Python might be an option. Others use Torque or similar game creation tools because they allow rapid development and fairly developed 2d engines.

Java seems to be rarely used for any casual games. I am not really sure why but I just haven't seen it used very often! In terms of web based casual games most are either Flash or ActiveX based.

If you are just making casual games for yourself or friends with decent spec machines then I would go with XNA, but if you plan to release to portals then you might want to strongly consider using something else.

Quote:
Original post by daviangel
Well I'd go with C# just for the fact that you are most likely already using and comfortable with the Visual Studio IDE.
I've programmed in C# and Java and one thing that always bugged me with Java is never finding an IDE that I liked compared to VS, although I hear Eclipse is pretty good nowadays?

Thanks man, i'll go with C#.NET & the XNA way..........

Quote:
Original post by shadowisadog
Well personally as a casual game developer I use C++. The disadvantage to using XNA is that not everyone has video cards that support the required shader model and the huge runtime distribution makes using XNA an issue (not even including the fact that I don't know if you can sell stuff made for the PC using XNA).

Several casual developers I know use various game engines that have python bindings (Such as PyCap) to make casual games so using Python might be an option. Others use Torque or similar game creation tools because they allow rapid development and fairly developed 2d engines.

Java seems to be rarely used for any casual games. I am not really sure why but I just haven't seen it used very often! In terms of web based casual games most are either Flash or ActiveX based.

If you are just making casual games for yourself or friends with decent spec machines then I would go with XNA, but if you plan to release to portals then you might want to strongly consider using something else.

Thank you very much, i'm developing casual games for me & my friends & they all have pretty stout machines(Capable of running Crysis!!) so i'll dump Java & start developing using C#.NET & XNA FrameWork.........

Quote:
Original post by shadowisadog
(not even including the fact that I don't know if you can sell stuff made for the PC using XNA).

You can.

Quote:
Original post by benryves
On the other hand, Java games could also run on mobile phones or in a web browser.

I think one can now use MS Silverlight to enable C# games/programs to run on your browser. IIRC they said it was a cross browser, cross platform solution, although that sounds... unlikely.

Yeah but if you want to do browser games, you're way better off with Flash than either of these.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!