• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Paksas

implementing a decision tree

This topic is 3773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi DISCLAIMER - I know the subject's been discussed like a million times - I have browsed through this and a number of other forums. But I failed to find an answer to the question that's bugging one hell out of me. I'm trying to make a game. I was trying to put some AI toghether - I started simple using the FSMs. However I soon noticed that I'm plugging common behaviours all over the code - behaviours such as finding a path, or moving, or acting idle etc. Then I came across this article about the DT on AIGameDev.net (http://aigamedev.com/hierarchical-logic/). So I patched together a very simple DT - I used the Composite pattern. Now I don't know - maybe I misread something - but I kinda got the impression that such a tree can cover a great range of behaviors. So for instance I can have a tree that defines an action like this - goToKitchen - drinkWater - eatSandwich - goToRoom Now I want to do them sequentailly - one by one - pacing them in a timely manner, because each of them takes some time to complete. And everything would be great, if it wasn't for a small matter of the Composite executing the whole tree of actions at once :( Could somebody please help me understand how such a tree should be implemented? Many thanks to you all. Paksas

Advertisement
You may want to have a glance at some of the threads on the forums at AIGameDev.com. You will need to create a user account and post a brief introduction - but then you will be granted access to the forums. You will find a wealth of information there.

Specifically, there are a couple of threads up this alley.

Low level implementation of modular decision tree
Trying to figure out where to start on AI combat behaviours

Hi

Unfortunately none of the e-mails responds to my question.

The question is: can a decision tree be iterated through one action at a time?

Best regards,
Paksas

You may want to poke around with Behavior Trees then. Check out AIGameDev for plenty of info on that. (Alex has made them sort of a pet project.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!