• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dunge

OpenGL DX10 tutorials for advanced user?

This topic is 3714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I already know a lot about 3D graphic theories, worked with OpenGL and DirectX9, even with Nintendo Wii and Sony PSP graphic libraries. I stopped learning this while I was at university and never had a chance to do any DX10, but now it's the time to get back on track. I'm looking for a quick "getting started" guide that would show me the usual approach to create a working DX10 framework. I know about the samples in the SDK, but they all use DXUT and I would prefer a low-level approach. I also don't want to use XNA. C# can be cool but I'm not too used to managed code so I would prefer C++ for the moment. I would also like to have a shader pipeline approach since everything I know about 3D graphics always been in the fixed pipeline and don't know much about the alternative. Can't seem to find any good DX10 tutorials site on the subjects, and books are rare too. Advanced 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10.0 (Wordware Game and Graphics Library) looks great but I would prefer something free :).

Advertisement
you have some tuts here (the translation has some flaws but its usable):

http://www.notjustcode.it/dblog/storico.asp?s=English

Yeah they are hard to find because not many games use DX10 (yet). Current gen consoles don't use it and less than 10% of PC gamers have Vista + DX10 capable video card. Scroll down to DX10 systems if you are interested in stats:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

DX10 won't be widely used until the next generation of XBOX.

Steam is not a really good source for this type of survey. People who buy 8800/9800 cards won't go play CSS... but you are right that DX10 is not used much yet. With video cards price lowering this much it won't take long tough.

thx for your site n3Xus

[Edited by - Dunge on July 20, 2008 9:50:32 PM]

It may not be quite as simple as you are looking for, but you can use DXUT itself as a guide on how to implement the low level things. To be honest, the real basics of DX10 are quite similar to DX9, so you could just give it a shot and see how much is different.

Also, another good option would be some of the DX10 sample programs from the graphics books. GPU Gems 3 and also ShaderX 6 both have some DX10 samples, so you could start there too.

Good luck, and if you find any better references please post them or let JollyJeffers know so he can add them to the FAQ!

Quote:
Original post by Dunge
Steam is not a really good source for this type of survey. People who buy 8800/9800 cards won't go play CSS.

<offtopic>

Huh? They won't? What would they buy to play CSS?

Out of everyone I know the person with the best PC still players CS1.6 (as in pre-steam 2000 edition), and DotA (again something that requires very minimal specs to run). Sure he's whacked in Crysis as well, but that hardly means he doesn't play CS anymore just becuase he has an awsome PC.

I would say that people on steam are MORE likly to own Dx10 gfx cards than those who aren't. There are hundreds of games on steam other than CSS, and people into gaming are the people who own the high end gfx cards and are the people who buy games off steam. I don't think I know any gamers without a steam account.

</offtopic>

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!