• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zante

Internet browser based 3D engines

This topic is 3675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I put this in alternative gaming libraries by mistake. :[ A bit of a plug, I've currently started writing a blog about browser based 3D engines and would like some feedback. I first got into game dev during the times of Macromedia/Adobe Director 8.5 and am currently using Unity 3D as well as, dare I even mention this, Second Life with Opensim. I'd love nothing more than to shout praise for Unity 3D but, instead, will clarify a few points. Unity 3D is currently a mac based authoring environment Unity 3D is coming to windows Unity 3D can create content for mac and windows machines The content you create can be ported to the Nintendo Wii and iPhone I've always believed that unless you can make the content accessible to people immediately, it will be an uphill struggle to promote yourself. It's for this reason that I'm sticking to browser based 3D engines and online communities in which demonstrations can be given in real-time (thus, Second Life). I haven't even looked around this forum yet but I wouldn't be surprised if SL is frowned upon. Admittedly it's not a game dev tool but changes are being made which will see a lot of people using the engine to create stand alone content. For me, the important thing about it is that there's a lot of competition in the community and in the right circles, standards are very high. You can read my blog here.

Advertisement
I haven't looked into Unity much after hearing it was Mac authoring only. Any idea when it's coming to Windows?

No announcement regarding a definitive date has been made but a while ago, on the website, you could see them hiring windows interface designers.

Our Game "Your World" is being developed in Unity 3D, but its not going to be used as an internet browser based game.

Hopefully if things go well, eventually we will export to wii.

But doing such is a major cut on finances.

A wii license is $30,000 USD.

More information on "Your World" can be requested upon email.

admin@crumblenet.net

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!