• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ploppy

Sharing resources between DX9 and 10 - anyone done this?

This topic is 3625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've written apps that create and open shared resources in DX9 and 10 but I can only open resources using DX9 that were created with DX9 and only open resources using DX10 that were created with DX10. Has anyone managed to share a resource between APIs? I found a thread that gave some guidelines about how to do this but I still haven't got it to work. When trying to open a DX10 resource in a DX9 app the debug runtime says "Opened and created resources don't match, unable to open the shared resource." but I can't see anything that doesn't match. If anyone has done this and can see any problems with the info in the link above I'd really appreciate some help. I could probably put up some code if necessary. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I've not tried this, but my suspicions would be two fold

1. are you getting caught out by the bit-ordering difference mentioned in the thread you referenced? The DXGI_FORMAT and D3DFORMAT enumerations being different...

2. are you using a D3D9 device that is definitely running on the WDDM/DXGI infrastructure? I completely forget the details here, but I wonder if you need to be using a D3D9Ex device rather than a vanilla XP-compat D3D9 one...

hth
Jack

Thanks for your comments Jack!

1. would be my thought too. In the DX10 app I create a surface using DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM and then I try to open it in the DX9 app using D3DFMT_A8B8G8R8. The thread I linked to seems to be saying this will work and this is the only format that is usable for this scenario. I was hoping someone who has done this would be able to confirm or deny...

2. I'm definitely using a D3D9Ex device - I don't think I would be able to open a DX9 surface if I wasn't.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!