• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gah_ribaldi

OpenGL Procedurally created bitmap OGL/C++

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, hope you can help with this one. I originally wrote this in Allegro and am attempting a port to openGL as a way to get to know it. Currently my setup on one area is as follows: A large portion of my game screen is taken up by a map window which shows a portion of a large bitmap - the area of the map that the player is looking at. This map is created by loading alphanumeric data from a .txt file into a 128x128 array. Once the array is populated, a function creates a bitmap of 32x128 by 32x128 pixels then copies the appropriate portions of a tileset (are they called tilesets? did I make that word up? Pre created 32x32 bitmaps with various land, sea, sand, combo, corner, etc arrangements pre-drawn) onto the bitmap to create a full world map. I also have a function which aims to hide the tile effect somewhat by blurring edges and so on on a per-pixel basis. The allegro bitmap is a member of a class Map. My question is, how can I come up with a similar setup using openGL? I have used oGL to create a practice 3d scene in teh past, but I'm drawing a blank on how to get statred on this one. A secondary question - is the technique I described actually a good way of achieving the scrollable map effect? Thanks in advance all.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!