• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
devronious

precision problem...

This topic is 3612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm doing some scientific calcs that need at least decimal type precision. But the System.Math namespace only deals in doubles. What can I do? -Devin

Advertisement
Some quick googling shows that their are some high-precision and arbitrary-precision math libraries freely available, although all the ones I've seen are C/C++ libraries. However it's very easy to p/invoke into DLL's, so that shouldn't be a problem if you're working in a managed environment.

Great, thanks, I'm thinking about creating my own number from one of those examples. Is there a guide like from ieee or something for doing such? Perhaps in binary?

Ya know I would love to use system.decimal and tried. It worked super but when I went to do a square root, I found there was no such method at that precision. Does anyone know how to do a square root at this precision?

Thanks again,

Devin

It only deals in floats/doubles because that's all the CPU can do natively. To perform a square root on a decimal type, you'll have to do it yourself.

One very simple way to do it is to use the Babylonian method. Start with an approximation, and iteratively apply a formula to approximate the square root.

For example:
class Program
{
static Decimal Sqrt(Decimal s)
{
const int Iterations = 2;

Decimal x = (Decimal)Math.Sqrt((Double)s); // Start with a good approximation

// Iteratively apply Babylonian method, using the arithmetic mean as an approximation for the geometric mean
for (int i = 0; i < Iterations; ++i)
{
x = (x + s / x) * 0.5m;
}

return x;
}

static void Main(string[] args)
{
Decimal s = 2.0m;

Console.WriteLine("Square root of 2");
Console.WriteLine("Double: {0:F28}", Math.Sqrt((Double)s));
Console.WriteLine("Decimal: {0:F28}", Sqrt(s));
Console.WriteLine("Actual value: 1.414213562373095048801688724209698...");
Console.ReadKey();
}
}

The more iterations you do, the more accurate the results. Although realistically, I think you'd only need to do maybe 1 or 2 iterations before you reach the maximum precision of the decimal type.

Great, this seems to work although I have not verified the calc yet. But that is super and adds sqrt to decimal which handles my calcs.

Thanks Much.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!