Suggest a new language for me to learn?

Started by
12 comments, last by d000hg 15 years, 8 months ago
Brainfuck :D

Python is good too, and enough studios use it that having some strong python demos could easily get you a job.
Advertisement
Thanks for all your replies guys.

So I took your advice to heart and buckled down and learned a few of the languages.

Here's my experience:
RUBY: Very very elegant language. I truely enjoy programming in Ruby. And my productivity just shot rocket high. Ruby is now my language of choice, after unseating my 9 year relationship with Java.

It has everything I'm looking for. All the libraries that I need are there. And the language itself is just fun to use.

BUT: It does have a shortcoming: And Lisp and Scheme are the only languages where I've seen it done right.

Metaprogramming: (Programs that write programs). It's pretty limited in Ruby. The major reason being that in Ruby:
PROGRAM != DATA
For this reason, Ruby makes extensive use of eval() and such methods to metaprogram.

In LISP and SCHEME:
PROGRAMS and DATA look the same.
To generate a PROGRAM, it's as simple as filling an array with the commands that you need.

Because of this, I still favor LISP as a base language over RUBY. But I would never use it in a production environment, just because libraries are so lacking, and the community is so small.

It's a shame. If Lisp was more popular and had more support, I would switch over in an instant. But for now, that's not the case.

OCAML and HASKELL: Functional programming was cool to investigate. And made some really hard things easily possible. On the other hand, it made some simple things a bit harder than normal.
Which is understandable, different languages have different strengths. It's just my own preference for intuitively simple things to remain simple.

Anyway, thanks for your guidance guys.
-Patrick
To quote a former President:
Quote: I feel your pain...

I am in the process of moving away from Java. Now, I'm taking a course on C++ (Visual C++) and then decided to learn Python on my own, after reading a few posts and checking it out.

Really like this program so far, so simple, so beautiful -- one simple lttle line of code for the well known "Hello, World":

print "Hello, World!"

[on side bar, this changes in Python 3.0 to: print ('Hello, World!') due to print becoming a function, not a statement]

Tons of tutorials out there and a couple free e-books as well, found "Think Python: An Introduction to Software Design" by Allen Downey. The author explains clearly so that any first timer will understand the concept he is presenting.

I learned Java as my first programming language and that was a nightmare. I took the intro course three times, before I really understood the basics. I still can't figure how I passed the first two times with a "C" then a "B" and totally not understand a damn thing.

In retrospect, I wish I had learned Python (or another simpler language) first and would recommend it. I'm still contemplating on dropping the C++ course and focusing on Python, then going back to C++. Trying to learn two programming languages simultaneously is receipe for stir fried brains.

Mav

Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.
Quote:Original post by CuppoJava

And this is what I want to avoid:
-Maintaining a good class structure requires careful thought and planning.
Designing software requires careful thought and planning. I can't see any language which can change that... "there is no silver bullet" as they say. Of course, you can get languages which can save you time writing the code, but designing the software is a whole other thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement