Coding my own 3d engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Portmanteau 15 years, 9 months ago
Hello. I wish to code my own 3d engine (using Open GL). Before I get started, I need to know what is the best language suitable for it. Also I will need some Open GL tutorials. And I do not plan on spending any money.
Advertisement
C/C++ works fine.
Google Nehe for tutorials
Is that the fastest availiable?
If you don't know a language yet, writing a 3D engine is not what you should be shooting at.
You will seriously and honestly struggle to write an engine without an application/game in mind for it - all the best game/graphics engines were developed alongside a real game.

As for language, there isn't one that's best suited, nor one that's fastest (languages don't have a speed). There are languages that can do the job however.

Some commons ones: Python, C/C++, C#, Java.

More to the point, if you don't know how to program(?) and you don't know OpenGL then you have a meaty amount of learning to get through first before you can begin writing a graphical game. Take things a step at a time.
Quote:Original post by dmatter
You will seriously and honestly struggle to write an engine without an application/game in mind for it - all the best game/graphics engines were developed alongside a real game.

As for language, there isn't one that's best suited, nor one that's fastest (languages don't have a speed). There are languages that can do the job however.

Some commons ones: Python, C/C++, C#, Java.

More to the point, if you don't know how to program(?) and you don't know OpenGL then you have a meaty amount of learning to get through first before you can begin writing a graphical game. Take things a step at a time.

I know a little bit about programming but not much about Open GL. It seems that if I am to get serious about Open GL I am going to need some books (which aren't at my public library.) So I will need money (which I didn't plan on spending.) Nehe's tutorials are based on the apparently deprecated GLaux functions.
Nehe's tutorials are based on the apparently deprecated GLaux functions.

You cannot have tutorials based on a set of auxiliary functions, the ideas and principals are the same, as well as probably 99% of the code. That being said Red Book and Blue Book all you need to know, and more, about OpenGL. OK, not all you need to know, but enough to get you started and then some. It doesn't seem to have any of what the OpenGL SuperBible calls the new testament, namely programmable pipelines, but I wouldn't worry about that. If you are going to shell out the cash, I recommend the aforementioned SuperBible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement