new guy that needs some advice

Started by
9 comments, last by tika 15 years, 9 months ago
hi guys:) I've been here for a while but never registered...but always been interested in game design... I think its time for me to try my own game.... I'm not trying to do an MMO or anything complex.. since its gonna be my first try.. I'd like to do a 2d fighting game something like mortal kombat or killer instinct but in lower quality...with 2d characters and maybe 3d backgrounds.. my main problem is that i don't know much about coding...so id like to have some advice....and a couple of questions.. 1. since I'm a beginner should i use blitzbasic or darkbasic?...which one do you think will be easier for me to learn and which one is gonna give me more freedom with my game? 2. or do you think i should learn c++ which is a lot harder i guess? 3. is there something else that i can use ? thanks for your time guys and sorry if this been asked before
Advertisement
Hi,

I'm new and have been lurking around here too. I might not be much help.

Quote:
1. since I'm a beginner should i use blitzbasic or darkbasic?...which one do you think will be easier for me to learn and which one is gonna give me more freedom with my game?

They are both BASIC so the learning curve is the same. Some people prefer Dark basic over Blitz, but I might be wrong. But I don't think either one is better than the other. Try them out and use the one you like better. I think they both support 2d. (I know Dark basic does). Maybe you should try making some text-based games before you go and try 2d. Many beginners, try to make a "cool" game but end up frustrated and giving up.

Quote:
2. or do you think i should learn c++ which is a lot harder i guess?

C++ is definitely harder that BASIC, unless you are extremely interested in making games and have the time I suggest you use Blitz or Dark basic.

Quote:
3. is there something else that i can use ?

(http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/) Gamemaker. Try googling game creation and you'll find some things.

Quote:
thanks for your time guys and sorry if this been asked before

I think it has been asked before. Next time maybe you should try the search button if you have a question. If you can't find your answer, I guess post.
Not only has this been asked before, but they've tried to put the following up to limit them:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=35

Scan that page for what you're looking for. Read what's interesting. But, not everyone is the same, so posting here is good if you need more help.

As both an avid and frustrated C++ programmer, I can say I'm avid because it's great for game development, but I'm frustrated because of how hard it is to work with. If you're end gaol is to be a programmer, better yet a game programmer, I'd say C++ is a great way to go if you can remember that it might take a LONG time before you're making games.

On the other hand, a long time ago, I bought a book about game programming, an introduction, and the package included Blitz Basic. I wasn't ready at the time, but I acknowledge that Blitz Basic can get you programming AND making games a lot quicker. I don't know how much "freedom" it'll give you, though, and you can't be called a serious programmer just because you know Blitz Basic. It's, well, basic.
Obligatory Python mention. I've heard that it has a better design than Basic, and won't teach you bad habits. I just know that it's fun and easy to program in. You'll probably be able to go to graphical games sooner. By the way, I second the suggestion of starting text-based.
thanks guys... I think I'll try blitz since its cheaper and looks easy to use...
I'm not trying to be a game programmer...since i'm a graphic artist ..i don't need 2 jobs:)...just want to make my own simple game
as long as i could get some character on screen that can move with animation in a few months ...I'll be happy
I haven't used Dark basic, so I won't comment on that. But Blitz Basic wouldn't be bad to learn. A text based game or something like pong would be good to start with.

Then again, there's QBasic if you wish to go archaic. It's fun to work with, and would suffice for an introduction to game design.
Quote:Original post by tika
thanks guys... I think I'll try blitz since its cheaper and looks easy to use...
I'm not trying to be a game programmer...since i'm a graphic artist ..i don't need 2 jobs:)...just want to make my own simple game
as long as i could get some character on screen that can move with animation in a few months ...I'll be happy

Python is free. Really, there are no disadvantages.
Python is good to learn since it can be used is so many others areas too, such as web development and maya scripting.
I have used BlitzBasic. It was the firt thing I have ever used to make a simple game. It was really easy to use and you can make games fast with it, but It was too easy so I moved on to C++.Also C++ is pretty hard to learn and there is a lot to learn. I've also heard about Python I heard it was pretty simple and easy to learn.
Do you actually want to learn to program, or just make the game? If the latter, consider using the MUGEN engine to create your fighter.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement