• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alatar

.fx files and HLSL

This topic is 3620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. This is probably a very basic question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. So my question is what program do you use to write .fx files? Also, does anyone know any good tutorials on HLSL? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
.fx files are Nvidia's FX Composer file type for shaders. It's really just a text file. If you want a program to test out shaders you can use FX composer or ATI's Rendermonkey. If you just want to write shaders you can use notepad if you want :P Doing a quick search on google should be able to bring up results for hlsl tutorials.

http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/DirectX/Csharp/series3.php awesome HLSL tutorial, really helps you get your head around what's actually going on and its mostly in English ;p. I was sooo confused about what HLSLs were/did until I did this and now I can write some basic ones from scratch.

It's in C# but HLSL is HLSL, they do not change between languages.

Also nVidia do an FX composer (downloadable free from their site). FX editors aren't great but they do point out some basic typo errors that text editors obviously can't like misspelled variables, missing ;, that sort of stuff.

Andy

.fx files are just plain text, like any other source code file. I usually include them as part of my Visual Studio project, and do most of my editing in there. Once you've written an effect you can compile it in your app at runtime using the D3DX functions, or you can do it offline using the command-line HLSL compiler (fxc.exe).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!