3D Max exported models

Started by
2 comments, last by hotpixel 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi All, When a model is exported from 3D max to another format to be loaded in a rendering engine, how do I know the dimensions of the model when I load it in the engine. I need this information to scale the model appropriately. Should I fix the model dimensions in 3D Max before exporting? Is there a general way to handle it.
Advertisement
Not sure what you mean by 'rendering engine'.

I wrote a bit about exporting from 3DSMax using Panda http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=501537.

I wouldn't suggest scaling it in 3DSMax because you won't know the scaling factor then and you wouldn't be able to use it for other things. Generally I use trial and error, stick a scale matrix on the model until its right in your program code. Be careful if you don't use HLSL because the device lights behave strange on scaled models (this is in DirectX) but you'll get this no matter where you scale it, 3DS or your program code.

If it is a problem then poly/mesh edit your model in 3DSMax, grab the vertices and scale them. This way it won't export with a matrix scale on it.

Andy
Thanks for your reply, hotpixel. By render engine i mean a library which can load models and render it (For ex. like Ogre).

Actually I want to export models from 3D max and load it to my engine.
After that i need to scale the model to fit some available space (lets say a cuboid).
To scale the model to fit the space i need to know the dimensions of the loaded model (or is there another solution).

Yes scaling it in Max is not a good solution. As you suggested I tried to scale the model vertices so that I know its dimensions (width, depth, height) before exporting it.

But is there a general or elegent solution so that i dont have to change the model dimensions each time before I export it.
You could probably write a method that compared all the vertices in a loaded model, found the highest/lowest, furthest forward/closest and furthest left/furthest right. This would then give you a vertex dimension size in your program code?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement