• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VprMatrix89

Standard Mesh Format

This topic is 3674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this is a wide topic, but is there a good standard 3dmesh format that I can incorporate into my project? Forget .x files, although I could use them it would be a waste in the long run, because it seems to be lacking support from suites like maya and 3dmax. I would like it to have a parser, that can read the bin information and put it into structs ect.. I don't really expect too much from this, but this would help make my life much easier, so I appreciate any help with this.

Advertisement
This really depends on your purpose. Are you wanting animation too? Collada is the most standard format, though I don't use it. I actually use .x files for my static models. Well, I convert .x files into my own proprietary format for static models. 3ds is a good format, but can be a pain. Really depends on your goals.

If you want to support Maya and Max out the box then look at what they export and pick one from that list. This really depends on what your main goals are, support or file format features or ease of implementation.

Good Luck!

Jeff.

if you want to use something custom for a "long run" and you're "idealist" enough it's time for being a little masochist. my suggestion is 3dsmax sdk but it's really painful to find an entry point to start learning. (well, it was for me at least) lack of decent tutorials or articles etc..

yeah, i would avoid the 3ds max sdk, it sucks - though you can get quite a bit done in it without fully grokking what's going on (i.e. rip off the ascii export example and go from there). Maya on the other hand is a bit easier to grab the data.... shameless plug

Ideally the format would have an importer for c++ that I could include in my project. It needs to support animation for Maya and/or Max.

Typically, I write my own format for the project, depending on the needs. Most recently I did a simple binary, static format, and wrote an importer or .OBJ files. If I need static animation, I usually write an importer for .MD2 files, since they are simple and don't need an incredible amount of work. If I wanted skeletal animation I'd probably write an .MD5 importer.

If you don't want to write you own format or any importers, you could always use Collada, which I hear is nice, though I have yet to try it. From what I hear is a text-based, xml file, so it shouldn't be a huge PITA to writer a loader for it, plus, IIRC, there are libraries to do it for you (FCollada comes to mind).

Hope that helps.

I use Horde3D, which imports Collada files.

The idea was that by using collada, we wouldn't have to write an exporter for every different modelling tool - Blender, 3dsMax, Maya all already support Collada exports.

The problem is however, that they all have a slightly different idea of what a collada file should look like. Some use triangle tags, some put triangles in polygon tags, some put polygons in p tags, some put one index per tag, some use white-space delimited indices in a single tag...
In short, it was a good idea, but the implementation of the collada importer has gotten kind of messy.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
The problem is however, that they all have a slightly different idea of what a collada file should look like. Some use triangle tags, some put triangles in polygon tags, some put polygons in p tags, some put one index per tag, some use white-space delimited indices in a single tag...
In short, it was a good idea, but the implementation of the collada importer has gotten kind of messy.

I lolled when i read this. Those were my thought's when i was part of the collada review commity, however that's the problem with commities - no one agrees on anything ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!