• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pingu81

SDL & VC (VS2008) - exe does not run on other computer

This topic is 3798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everbody! Because I read in a forum that SDL is good for 2D graphics I tried to use it. But many problems and many lines C-code later there is another problem I cannot solve: I can not run my SDL project on another computer than mine where VS 2008 IDE is installed. What shall I do? I have already install Visual Studio RedistPack to the other computer but it does not work either. There is always this message about any wrong Configuration when running program which I won't type here cause it's from the german version and most of you can't understand. Anybody an idea about which files are needed to run any SDL application or which special configuration to choose in VC properties (but Multithreaded DLL). I am so stupid typing so much lines without trying if I can port it to any other computer!

Advertisement
I spent a long time on this. If you installed the redist exe on the target machine that doesn't have vc++ 08, it should run. If not it isn't the compilers dependencies being the problem. Make sure you are including all the dll's from your libraries and that you are using Multithreaded DLL because SDL needs that (unless you want to recompile SDL).

The thing I would check first from what you have said is that you are using a release build and not a debug. The debug build uses different dll's.

[edit]
Also you will want to package the redist dll's to your programs folder if you wish to not force other people to download the redist exe. They are in somewhere like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist" and just copy the folder from in there too where your exe is. NOTE: This may not be the best idea and does increase the size of the app when redistributing but I've found it to work

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!